Sky dives, Birthday and the end of the Kiwi Experience


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
March 6th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Since speaking to you last we have covered a lot of ground, and overcome a few fears! After leaving Wellington we headed straight to Taupo where we planned on doing the skydive. On the day we arrived we booked the skydive straight away, although the weather was not looking great and therefore our hopes were not very high. After two days of waiting in the rain we had a result. Not only did spurs win the Carling Cup Final (cheers for the text updates people) but the sun came out and the skydive was on. After a short trip and short introduction of what was expected of us, we changed into our cool jump suits and met our jump partners. Harry's was called Albert (German) and Jon's Mike (Aussie) both had completed over 10,000 jumps without any real accidents which reasured us. Jon was suprised how confident Harry was and secretly inside was scared himself but couldnt show it! After a ten minute flight in the smallest plane we have ever been in we had reached the required height of 12,000 ft and the light came on for us to jump (or fall) out of the plane. It seemed to only last a few seconds but the freefall was one of the craziest/coolest experiences we have had. Jon prefered it to the bungy. There was no chance to even contemplate whether you wanted to jump or not, as your jumper partner was more concerned that you smiled for the pre-jump photo. Before you know it the parachute has opened and you almost kick yourself in the face with the impact. Harry's partner let her hold onto the parachute for a while whilst he gave her a sightseeing tour on the way down. All in all it was enjoyed by both and we would definitely do it again!!!
Onto the next place which was Rotorua. This was where the geysers and hot springs are. We were warned about the smell of sulphur being like eggs, but we didn't realise in certain places how unpleasant that was! We spent Harry's Birthday here. (Thanks for all the Birthday wishes everyone!!!) We went out for a nice fish platter and a few cocktails. We spent a couple of days here but that was plenty because of the smell.
The next place we briefly moved onto was Whakatane and then Mount Maunganaui. We both really liked the Mount, as it's called by the locals, cool beaches and some good weather for a day or two. We watched the kids national life saving championships. (Very impressive.)
Our next stop was supposed to be Hamilton to get a day of watching test cricket, although we had to move straight onto Auckland as the Barmy Army have filled up all the places in the hostels! We are thinking of heading back to Hamilton on a day trip to watch one day of the test as it is only eight pound entry.

A few quick messages. Happy Birthday to Victoria, Uncle Eddie, Auntie Lin and of course my Daddy! The Big 60 on Sunday. Hope you have a good party and that my presence is missed!!!
Hey to all the Bowdens and thanks to all you spurs supporters for the weekly updates!

Not long until we are back now- just a couple of weeks in Fiji and one in L.A

Lots of love Jon and Harry x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb