River Rats


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
December 6th 2006
Published: December 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

A Grade 5 rapid with a 7 foot waterfall……. Yeah no probs mate!!

This was an AWESOME thing to do!! You have to have a go. The only downside was that it goes far too quickly and just when you’ve got the nerve to go over the waterfalls with your eyes open, it’s all over. An hour or so gone in an instant.

After being suited and booted we hopped in the bus to the river. On the way we were given our safety briefing, which if you haven’t given it a seconds thought prior, makes you sit up and take note. I think it was the bit that went something along the lines of “ if you fall out of the boat then the first thing you do is swim back to the boat!!” And “if we miss the exit on the last bend then we’ll go over an un-survivable drop!!” OK!! Must make a mental note. Don’t fall out the boat and when you hear someone shout “hold on,” HOLD ON. Easy really. Safety check over!!

When we got to the river it was straight in and after practicing the above commands, we were away. We got to grips with the basics quite quickly over a couple of little waterfalls and rapids before the big one, which when it came around seemed a little too quick to be going over something that high. We went through the customary group shout ritual, before going over and as we set off I nearly wet myself as Jo’s head nearly shrank into her shoulders right in front of me!! All we can remember is the sight of the white water below and the roar of the water as you drop over the top. Then as you feel yourself falling you get completely surrounded in water before popping out like a cork from the bottom. The falls capsized one in eight rafts that attempt to pass so it was obviously the lucky New Zealand Fern leaf we were given to place in our lifejackets that kept us upright. A great feeling and you just wish that there was another one around the next corner, but alas, apart from a right soaking the adventure was over.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Have another go my son!!Have another go my son!!
Have another go my son!!

Jo get your hand off the back of my head!


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb