DAY 18 KINLOCH to ROTORUA


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
February 18th 2023
Published: February 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Final goodbye to Kawa Kawa Bay, Kinloch.
After a relaxing and enjoyable 2 day stay at Kinloch it was time to move on.

We were ‘just-going-to-drive-and-see-what-tickled-our-fancy’. Before we departed a friend had sent us a photo of a place they had visited and enjoyed. We made note of it but were not going to seek it out. More of that to come.

Our first fancy tickler was Aratiatia Rapids. We deviated off the beaten track and eventually found them … well, we found huge rocks, boulders, a gorge and rock pools. No rapids … until we heard a siren … the hydro electric dam up stream was letting water through. We headed to the viewing position above the gorge and waited and watched as the water rapidly cascaded down and over the boulders and rocks … rapids created.

Onto highway 5 and Rotorua our destination until we saw … yes, you guessed it … the turn off for the place recommended, Orakei Korako (Place of Adorning), the geothermal area above Lake Ohakari, and voted by Lonely Planet as the best geothermal experience in NZ. It is thermal perfection. It was truly sensational. It lies between Taupo and Rotorua straddling the Waikato River. A hidden valley

Final goodbye to Kawa Kawa Bay, Kinloch
of exceptional natural beauty. We crossed the lake in a small boat and upon alighting began our thermal experience above and beside the bubbling, flowing and steaming land surface by walking up and down strongly constructed walk boards for the next 2 hours. It was incredible, vibrant colour, gurgling mud pools, volcanic hot springs and a rare geothermal cave. The one negative … the ‘Mud Cake Café’ across the lake did not have one mud cake on sale! They should ‘never’ run out.

The fuel warning on the motor home had us into our reserve tank and that we needed to find a refilling station asap. I think we just made it on the smell of an oily rag.

A few necessities purchased and it was settle down for the night time. Heaps of walking today and we were pretty ‘buggered’.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



All homes in Kinloch region have their letterboxes grouped together near the roadside.


Goodbye Taupo.


The 'dry' Aratiatia Rapids.


Pools of water ... definitely no rapids.


The HEP Dam in the background with the gorge leading from it.


The water has begun to flow ...


... and flow, gathering momentum with volume ...


Boulders and rocks are submerged.


A friendly tourist enjoying the experience.


Downstream the pools become a river.


Arriving at Orakei Korako on Lake Ohakuri.


The road leading into the site.


Necessary.


Silica terraces ...


Wooden walkways allow people to experience the beauty of the thermals


The colour is sensational.


No escaping.




Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb