Orewa Beach & Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Orewa
February 15th 2009
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The flight from Papette to Auckland was 5 hours, departing at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday and arriving at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, crossing the International Date Line. Customs in Auckland was almost a nightmare as so many passengers arrived on different flights at about the same time. New Zealand is very serious about things like plants, seeds, fruits and nuts. Every bag is x-rayed.

We rented a car (they drive on the wrong or left side of the road) and basically bypassed Auckland, a city with two harbors, for the small beach town of Orewa in the heart of the Hibiscus Coast on the Tasman Sea. The Waves on the beach was our home for the next two days. The beach is long and wide with great sand and good surf...perfect for walking, surfing, wind and kite surfing, building sand castles and looking for sea shells.

Saturday was rainy so our host suggested a Matakana Wine Trail drive. It was beautiful even in the rain. For true-blue Kiwi country atmosphere, we stopped by the Matakana Country Market which takes place every Saturday. Other stops were Warkworth, Sanspit and Cape Rodney, named by Capt. James Cook. Fortunately, by the time we returned the sun had come out so we enjoyed another walk on the beach. It was a great Valentine's Day.

Sunday, it was on to Auckland to board our ship for a 14-night cruise. The day was just gorgeous and the sail away party festive. The Hilton Hotel is on a pier next to the ship's berth, so as we left, a crowd came out on their balconies to wave good-bye. The music played as we left the sparkling city of Auckland behind.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Orewa BeachOrewa Beach
Orewa Beach

Great Place to Walk
Along the Matakana Wine TrailAlong the Matakana Wine Trail
Along the Matakana Wine Trail

Beautiful even in the Rain
Auckland HarborAuckland Harbor
Auckland Harbor

Waving Good-bye From the Hilton Hotel
Hilton Hotel in Auckland HarbourHilton Hotel in Auckland Harbour
Hilton Hotel in Auckland Harbour

The Hilton was located next to the Ship's berth.
Sail AwaySail Away
Sail Away

Rockin Out to a Little Music as we say Good-bye to Auckland.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb