Bits & Pieces


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
February 2nd 2010
Published: February 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Carla Driving Carla Driving Carla Driving

not as scary as you think and i have gotten pretty good!

Driving back from Mangawhai



After our great time in Mangawhai, I (Carla) drove back to Auckland via the fast way. We bypassed a toll road which took us through a beautiful little town called Oneroa. Nick then drove through Auckland and surprisingly enough I managed to navigate him through the big city all on my own to Kumeu, where we took in a car show for the weekend.

Avatar 3-D IMAX


Once the car show ended on Sunday, we decided to hit up the Avatar movie in downtown Auckland at the Sky City Cinemas3D Imax experience. Luckily we got in but we had to sit in the front row. Did you know some Avatar 3-D graphics were developed in Wellywood (Wellington) and that the costumes and language featured in the film are all inspired by the Maori culture? Now you know!!

Back to Northland we go


We journeyed our way to Whangarei but before that we stopped in Warksworth to visit the gigantic Kauri trees. Following the trees we ended up in Dargaville to visit the Kumara (sweet potato) capital of New Zealand.

Whangarei


This city is the most populated city of the North region and really spread out. It took us some time get to know our way around. The first thing we did was visit the Whangarei Falls- they say they are the most photographed waterfalls of New Zealand. They are very dangerous and are not meant to be jumped off as we heard in the paper the following day. A young person jumped off and obviously hit a rock and broke both arms and fractured her legs.

As you know, we sleep in a tent and we found a great farm stay through the BBH book which not only had great views but parts of it reminded us of home. It was very quaint place and our host,a British ex-pat named Stu, was great!

Cape Reinga


We decided to go visit the Cape and I made sure I had our camera and double checked to ensure that we had lots of battery left and it looked all good to go except when we got there it took one picture and died. Luckily, our phone takes photos so we only took a couple but wished we had our video camera to capture the
toll road to the righttoll road to the righttoll road to the right

we opted to take the free route through Oneroa
beauty of the tip of NZ along with the Maori traditions. The Cape is significant to the Maori as this is where the spirits go when people pass on. This is also where the Tasman sea and the South Pacific meet creating a wave. Its magical!

Heading Home to Tauranga (again)?!


It was decided that we would come back "home" to Tauranga as we weren't having much luck finding work up North and we knew Nick could pick up some labour shifts with an agency in town and I would hopefully find something...
Along our way home we stopped in Paeroa. The town is famous for the 7 meter tall Big Bottle. As a government website states, " the Lemon and Paeroa Bottle is a permanent reminder of the therapeutic Paeroa Springs Water discovered before 1900, which, with the addition of lemon, became known as New Zealand’s own soft drink." Its actually very tasty!

Well that sums up the last three weeks! We hope you enjoy the photos and blog and as always comments, jokes, stories are appreciated!

Until next time...
Cheers!



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Rolling HillsRolling Hills
Rolling Hills

You will notice right away the brown hills due to the hot weather.
OneroaOneroa
Oneroa

Reminded us of the Mount.
More of OneroaMore of Oneroa
More of Oneroa

The long sandy beach
Double TakeDouble Take
Double Take

Toronto?? - wait its Auckland
Auckland Harbour BridgeAuckland Harbour Bridge
Auckland Harbour Bridge

the famous bridge driving through it- very narrow!
Bridge upcloseBridge upclose
Bridge upclose

You can take a guide and walk to the top. I heard its spectacular views
Car showCar show
Car show

We took lots of pictures of old cars and trucks...here is a snippet of a couple
Car show #2Car show #2
Car show #2

more cars
Tipi in NZ?Tipi in NZ?
Tipi in NZ?

Yup a tipi at a car show they sold merchandise
Avatar ManiaAvatar Mania
Avatar Mania

I wanted to keep the glasses but we weren't able to:(
Avatar Mania #2Avatar Mania #2
Avatar Mania #2

Nick in his sweet digs!
Kauri TreeKauri Tree
Kauri Tree

I love trees...this one is HUGE!!
Scenery to DargavilleScenery to Dargaville
Scenery to Dargaville

The sky reminded me of SK
Kumara CropsKumara Crops
Kumara Crops

The best food to have in NZ
Welcome to DargavilleWelcome to Dargaville
Welcome to Dargaville

Mr. Kumara welcoming you to the town
McDonalds ice cream-yummy!McDonalds ice cream-yummy!
McDonalds ice cream-yummy!

After a hard day of being a tourist, we stopped at Mickey D's and eat an delicious ice cream for 60 cents!
KeriKeri OrangesKeriKeri Oranges
KeriKeri Oranges

the best Oranges in NZ- the town is famous for them and they are very juicy!!
PaeroaPaeroa
Paeroa

The world famous L & P bottle
Waipu Pizza Barn Waipu Pizza Barn
Waipu Pizza Barn

The BEST place for pizza in NZ- should have been in last blog but here you go.
Reminds us of a place Reminds us of a place
Reminds us of a place

To us looks like sk.
A touch of Northern SK?A touch of Northern SK?
A touch of Northern SK?

This picture looks like Northern SK...does it to you??


5th February 2010

envious
love to see where you have been! leaving the dream of so many.
10th April 2010

Sweet Pics
Hey you guys!!! So jealous love the pictures and the falls are beautiful!! My fav is carla hugging the tree, I would totally be there with you Carla hugging on the other side! What are Kumaras?! I love the railroad, it definitely has a SK feel! Oh and Jared loves the 3D glasses- they are S-W-E-E-T! The avatar info was interesting, had no idea?! Ttys hopefully!!!

Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb