Travelling north


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Paihia
February 12th 2008
Published: February 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On leaving Auckland we headed North to Paihi at the Bay of Islands. This is supposed to be a really beautiful bay and a must to do a boat trip around. It was really pretty for the evening we arrived there but then the day we had our boat trip booked for the weather was awful, really cloudy, rainy, windy and so the boat was cancelled!! This happened to be Valentines Day so Rina, Carrie and I decided to pamper our selves instead and went to the nearest town Kerikeri and had our hair cut and found a chocolate factory to visit so the day wasn’t a total loss.
We stayed in Paihi for a few nights and used this as our base to visit the most northerly tip of the North Island, Cape Reigna. It’s the point at which the Tasman Sea and Pacific Ocean meet and was def worth the three hour + drive to it. The journey up was really pretty in itself, we passed lots of gorgeous bays and visited 90 mile beach, a beach that is the whole length of the west coast of the tip, (it is actually only 47 miles long though!). There are some massive sand dunes at the end of 90 mile beach. Unfortunately we got there to late to do sandboard on them but just walking around them was v cool!



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

the Bay of Islandsthe Bay of Islands
the Bay of Islands

the next day when we had our boat trip booked for it was misty and horrible and so the boat was cancelled!! v annoying!!


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb