To the Northern Tip of New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Cape Reinga
March 3rd 2008
Published: March 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday 3rd
Another 630am start - bus arrives 710. Today we have Jack and it's soon clear that he really knows his stuff as he drives us through an area which has plenty of history along with natural sites. Lots of Norfolk pines which indicate an area settled by missionaries (the top forms a perfect cross), some of the oldest buildings, and plenty of kiwi-fruit/avacado plantations. A short walk into the Kauri Tree forest where is a particularly large specimen. We stop at the Kauri shop, and get a chance to walk up a staircase hollowed from an ancient/large Kauri tree (the wood is about 45,000 years old). Soon we're en route to Cape Reinga - furthest point north in New Zealand (although I think some would beg to differ). Up here there's a lighthouse, and a point where the Tasman and Pacific Seas meet - two different tidal currents so some impressive sea-swells to be observed. The rain soon sets in again, but apparently this is good for the next part of the day.

We're soon driving down a stream... This is quite a bizarre experience, and feels a bit like being in Speed (starring Keanu Reeves/Sandra Bullock), as the bus can't slow down as it might sink. Soon we've found a solid parking spot though, and are being instructed in the use of the surfboards... To sand-surf. Lie on your front, tuck everything in and use your feet as brakes if necessary. It's hard work getting to the top but amazing fun flying down (all at our own risk, of course) - so much so that I have 3 goes. Back on the coach (covered in sand/water, and a bit winded from jumping off the edge on board and belly-flopping into the water!), and we continue down the river until we get to 90 Mile Beach (actually only about 60 miles) - a public highway on which everyone can travel except hire cars/campers (unless they want to be liable for the full cost of a vehicle) - pretty firm, but care needed - and best to go about 90k, apparently. We stop to take photos of another hole in the rock (hard to see in the clouds though) and go for a paddle! Next stop, the Bluff, for views, then we head down the beach, past the ex-site of a small town, now dismantled, and off the beach. Back down to the Kauri Kingdom (shop/big tree), where we order our fish/chips for the next town. Have been chatting to David from Birmingham most of the day (ex-Estates Manager at the university there). We enjoy our 'fush & chups', then I and another decide to try the Paua Fritter - I'd say rather like fishy spinach. The proprietor after says doesn't taste much like real Paua (fry with cream, onions, etc) so we still don't really know what that tastes like (also known as abalone)! Finish with an ice-cream, before the coach heads back. Back at the hostel the dryer is broken but I MUST do my washing - put it on - check out the launderette/internet café - neither any use to me right now. Get back and take my washing round to the YHA where I buy a token and use their driers - Becky has the other drier! We sit with it to ensure that it's not locked in, and mine is as close to dry as it's going to be, so that's OK for now. Make sure my bag is packed whilst they have dinner, then we have some popcorn and manage to watch the end of Priscilla. Say bye to Becky who's off on a 3 day nature cruise tomorrow, then head to bed. About 130 woken by 4 others heading to be in the room - turning the light on/loud conversation. Only one doesn't resond to 'shhhh', but it takesa good half-hour to get back to sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

My first run down the sand-dunesMy first run down the sand-dunes
My first run down the sand-dunes

(Unfortunately my photographer didn´t hear me say about the zoom function!)


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb