New Zealand Arrival.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » East Coast
January 30th 2006
Published: January 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Fri. 13th. Jan.
After Jim being refused entry into Australia, on our connecting flight to New Zealand, a nice man at Santiago airport organised a direct flight to Auckland for us. The BA promised visa was a porky. We arrived in Auckland at 5:00 a.m. after a very pleasant flight, arranged our hotel in the airport, and caught the shuttle bus to the door, effortless! Spent the day getting our bearings and sorting out an Oz visa at the embassy. Then to the top of Sky Tower for our evening meal, and to watch the city go from day to night.

Sat. 14th.
Walked around Auckland and are very impressed with the cleanliness, traffic discipline and the quietness of such a big city. The people are so friendly, and , Halleluah! we can understand them. Well, most of the time! It's amazing how close to the city centre the port is. Even huge tankers berth only a stone's throw from downtown.

Sun. 15th.
We bought a day travel pass for $10 each, and did Mt. Eden and One Tree Hill before catching the ferry to Devonport, a sleepy little place, with spectacular views of Auckland. Lots and lots of Orientals here, so no problem finding a good Chinese meal to finish off a super day.

Mon. 16th.
We've decided to bus our way around New Zealand, rather than the hassle of driving, so off we go to Paihia, located in Northlands. Beatiful weather and scenery with the added bonus of a self-appointed tour guide as our bus driver. When we came to a particularly spectacular view, he stopped the bus for us to jump to take photographs. Don't think that will catch on in the U.K. It's with a little trepidation, that we walk the 5 mins. from the bus terminus (a bus stop, really) to our accommodation. The reason being is that we have decided to give back-packing hostels a try while we are here. No problem, Salt Water Lodge is beatiful. We have our own large room with en suite, and best of all, a view of the Pacific Ocean!

Tues. 17th.
We did the Bay Cruise today, which was well worth the money. A 4 hour boat ride amongst some of the 140 islands that give this place its name, not surprisingly "The Bay Of Islands". A lot of the islands are privately owned, but some are pure Robinson Crusoe, and all of them are beautiful! The highlight of the trip was a jaw clenching ride through a very small hole in the rock, with 2 feet clearance either side of the boat. Exhilerating, and seeing a little blue penguin on the way back was an added bonus.

Wed.18th.
Before joining the BBH, we've decided to try a cheaper hostel in Paihia, but we've still struck lucky. We don't have an en suite, but "The Mayfair Lodge" suits us fine. Very friendly owners and the back-packers are giving us lots of tips. Just over the bridge is a lovely walk through the Mangrove trees to a non-descipt waterfall. The area is a dedicated Kiwi reserve and even though they are nocturnal, you keep looking in case the odd one is sleep-walking, but no luck. We did see The Southern Cross in the night sky for the very first time, so not all was lost.

Thurs. 19th.
A 7:30 start today to go to the northern most tip of N.Z., in which the coach travels along a 90-mile beach through the surf. Half way along the beach, which is only 58 miles by the way, and the fool hardy folk amongst us are given boogie boards and walked to the top of a huge sand dune. Unfortunately, I had to stay at the bottom to take a photograph. Well, someone has to do it!, while Jim almost killed himself, sand boarding down TWICE. The highlight of the day for us was the trip to the Kuari Forest. These magnificent trees are over 5 thousand years old, and are native to New Zealand. To give an idea of size, one tree would have built ten homes, before they became protected. We stopped off at a restaurant, where the Kuari tree has had its centre chain-sawed into an internal spiral staircase. They the built the craft centre and restaurant around this feature - spectacular.

Fri. 20th.
Heading back to Auckland to connect with a bus to Coromandel Town. These distances are a doddle compared to South America. Fantastic scenery at every bend in the road. One side is the ocean, and the other rolling hills, not dissimilar to Wales. Not as green as we expected, and very little flora - just agapanthus, cocosmea and, of course, cannas. Another fascinating commentary from the bus driver, and the unexpected bonus of being dropped off outside our hostel. Anchor Lodge is again highly recommended, with its own swimming pool and spa, and just 10 mins. walk from town. The only problem is the veranda has to be evacuated and all outside lights extinguished by 10:00 p.m. They do have a lounge but it's not the same.

Sat. 21st.
Took the obligatory walk up a hill to see the sights and were not disappointed. The local beach however was disappoining, so we lazed by the pool until 7:00, when ti got decidedly chilly.

Sun. 22nd.
We've arranged for the intercity bus to collect us at 11:00 and take us to Whitianga, where we are assured there is a beatiful beach. Another superb driver told us his life story as we drove along and stopped at extre special places for the photo call. Our hostel is right on the beach, and this looks like a real back-packers' place. We have our own room but share the kitchen and bathroom with 4 German people. 2 mins. walk, and we're on the beach, watching the little Gilberts play in the surf. After dinner, yet another stir-fry, the place goes to sleep. Good job we've got a pack of cards.

Mon. 23rd.
We walked down to the wharf and caught the ferry to Lonely Bay. It took longer getting on and off the boat than it did to get to the other side. We decided to take a track up the hill, by following the orange markers on the trees. After 1/2 hour, they disappear and we're lost. A beatiful coloured bird appreared and stayed within touching distance until we found the right track and then immediately disappeared???? The view was of course great, and then we dropped down to Lonely Bay, which was even better. It wasn't too warm and when the strong winds and grey clouds moved in we called it a day. Back to our bungalow and we're now sharing with a family from England, very pleasant.

Tues. 24th.
A cyclone has hit the north island and the rain is lashing down. We're moving on to Mt. Maunangui today and get soaked just taking the bags to the end of the drive. The scenery is non-existent, through the clouds. Our connecting bus from Thames is 3/4 hour late and, with hind sight, we wish it hadn't turned up. The driver was a scary Kiwi woman with a big chip on her shoulder. We were sitting directly behind her, and when we expressed concern about not being able to see out of the misted windscreen, she replied that she knows the road so well that she doesn't have to see it !!!! When she stood on her seat to rummage in the dip by the windscreen, hurtling down the road at 75 k.p.h., we decide to sleep the rest of the way, and trust to fate!!! When we arrived, it was still torrential rain so a quick phone call and the hostel owner came to pick us up.
Note to back-packers: Pacific Coast Lodge is one to be avoided, unless you like living next door to a building site. The kitchen is huge, but the walls are covered with "Don't Do!" notices, and beer is NOT allowed in the fridge! Spent the rest of the day in the Hot Water Baths, with the rain still beating down on us, strange sensation. One night is enough here so tomorrow we move on to Rotorua.

Wed. 25th.
At last the weather is better and the hostel we've found is brilliant. Funky Green Voyager comes highly recommended. There are about 10 of us sharing 2 bungalows, and we have an en suite. The geyser in next door's garden makes ours smell like bad eggs, but hey, you can't have everything! Chris on reception sends us off to see a beautiful Maori church. It is set with 3 other buildings, all intrcately carved , by the side of the lake. The creme de la creme is the etched window in the church, which gives the impression of Christ walking on the lake. Went back to the hostel, and spent a very pleasant evening, swapping stories. Joy of joy - no T.V.!

Thurs. 26th.
Got our instructions from Chris, and set off to see the lake change from fresh water to sulphurous, and the hot mud bubbling up on the banks. From there to Government Gardens, where they have Croquet Lawns and Bowling Greens amongst the beautiful flower beds. This is enhanced by spectacular colonial buildings housing the museum and the baths. Rotorua seems to have everything! Another night sat around the dining table, putting the world to rights. All the young ones are e-mailing their parents to come join us because we're having such a good time. Anyone interested?....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb