Round East Cape


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » East Coast » Opotiki
December 21st 2005
Published: December 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Opotiki to Gisborne



Firstly, a word of apology about the photos appearing as they do. Don't ask me why but it is impossible to sort them properly so they appear in the wrong entry. Sort it out yourself I suppose and guess where they are meant to go.

Then we got to Opotoki from where we did a full day's cycling in good weather to Maraetai Bay. The hostel here was great, right on the beach a sprawling wooden construction with outdoor fire. It was run by a generous spirited and enthusiastic Maori guy and son. It was tempting to stay another few nights to dive and chill but instead off at the crack of dawn to Hicks Bay.

We were drenched a few times on this one and went on to the Kawakawa Hotel in Te Araroa where we spent a couple of nights out of the wet (very wet) with another cycling pair from England. Very enjoyable in spite of the basic food ( fish and chips served with 2 fried eggs!) and accommodation. After 2 hard days we needed to stop anyway. We now know that 2 consecutive 50 mile trips are as much as we can cope with especially on this terrain.

Gisborne



We were carted from Te Araroa by courier service into Gisborne and then found our booked B&B eventually. It's very luxurious compared, run by Lionel and Kevin who took us around the area on Tuesday to see the views of the area and to a couple of beaches. It poured so we did not get into the sea here. Perhaps tomorrow when we get our car and drive south to Napier.

Photos to follow.

Advertisement



20th December 2005

Have a great Christmas Day
Hi Michael and Lesley, Not sure if this is for sending you e-mails, but hoping you get this, HAVE A REALLY GREAT CHRISTMAS. Really good to read of your travels. Thinking of you. in peace and love Loraine and Graham
21st December 2005

raining!
hi I'm sorry it is raining on you SO much. If it is any consolation it rained on us most of the time too!!!!!! Have a great christmas. See you in the New Year XXXX

Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0811s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb