Coromandel Hot Water Beach and Cathedral Cove


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel
December 18th 2012
Published: December 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Drove to Coromandel yesterday in the mist and rain. Thought I had taken a wrong turn at one stage as I drove for miles and didn't see another car. The road was very steep and windy through the mountains and in parts no barriers scary!! Eventually saw some other cars which was reassuring. Arrived at Hot Beach springs where for two hours either side of low water you can build little baths with sand and hot water flows in from beneath the earth. Everyone is congregated together as it only happens in a space about thrifty feet wide. This is due to volcanic activity from years ago which has left very hot rocks the water seeps down is heated and then is drawn up again.

Today went to Hahei where you find Cathedral Cove, it's about a thirty minute walk through a little bush area to the beach, and guess what I thought I was at home at Durdle Door. It's very similar made of limestone and created by the sea. Also visited Stingray beach but the tide was in there and you couldn't access it.

Driving back to Auckland tomorrow to fly to Christchurch the next day to spend Christmas with my cousin. Glad I got out of Fiji when I did missed the cyclone Evan and winds of 270kmph!!!! phew.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb