Had to Get Out of Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel
May 20th 2007
Published: May 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thames Hostel Thames Hostel Thames Hostel

An old 1860's hotel from the mining days.
Had to get out of town and get back to nature. Actually, I think I’d been looking for an excuse to get some driving in for the last few weeks. Walking and public transportation is great, but every once in a while you need to feel you’re in control of the speed.

Headed for the Coromandel Peninsula - two hour drive east of Auckland - Friday after work.

Not much to add beyond what’s written in the photos. The Coromandel is more a summer beach destination than a winter spot. Small communities that have little to offer (i.e. dinning, bar, entertainment, recreation, etc….), but beaches.

First night in Thames, a gold mining town. Next day did the small street fair (garbage… I mean garage sale) on the main street. Hit this great butterfly farm on the way out of town to Coromandel Town, further up north. Lunch and window shopping in Coromandel Town and then on to Whitianga (pronounced fitianga).

Boat cruise next morning, then south to Tairua and then back up north for low tide at hot water beach. At hot water beach you rent a shovel and dig yourself at hot tub on the beach in locations where superheated water bubbles up through the sand. Of course there was no shower so I drove back the three hours to Auckland with sand, sulfur and the stickiness from the boiling water chafing me with every curve that NZ’s anti straight line road planners could throw at me.

The car seemed to have a craving for orange road cones. Yum.

Planning on renting a beach house for New Year’s week and participating in the migration of Auckland’s 1.3M people to their holiday homes. Should be fun.

PS. gave the Flemings a scare. I didn't give them updates where I was at and they were certain I'd driven off the road and was trapped in the car. Good old tongue lashing when I got back. Well deserved.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Miniture TrainsMiniture Trains
Miniture Trains

The best $1 ride you can go on. Check out the flags. Stars and Bars flying alongside the Maple Leaf. Someone was hoping for a Lee victory!
On the Road to Coromandel Town On the Road to Coromandel Town
On the Road to Coromandel Town

Photo Taken Near Manaia
Where Are We -- Coromandel townWhere Are We -- Coromandel town
Where Are We -- Coromandel town

Note restroom facilities to the left and right.
Whitianga (sounds like fitianga)Whitianga (sounds like fitianga)
Whitianga (sounds like fitianga)

Outside Hostel on the beach. Taken Sunday morning. I went kayaking the night before and came back to the room wet and cold -- swells getting through the surf were a bit of a challenge.
NZ's kiwi batches -- the equal of our beach cabins.NZ's kiwi batches -- the equal of our beach cabins.
NZ's kiwi batches -- the equal of our beach cabins.

Town population goes from 4,000 to 40,000 for New Year's Holiday
Cathedral Cove BeachCathedral Cove Beach
Cathedral Cove Beach

See the guy swimming near the mouth of the tunnel?


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb