Coromandel St.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Hahei
March 18th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SunriseSunriseSunrise

Crossing the Coromandel Range as the sun is rising slowly.
Matt Writes:


7am and we are off along a dirt road, following a creek. The canopy is dusted with sunlight as we cross the Coromandel Range and its corresponding forest park. Our destination, the idylic beach of Hahei, where we prepare a great breakfast of cereal, bacon sarnies, fruit and tea. I can't help but notice the envious glares of the 4 surfers cramped into an estate (probably where they had spent the night).

Enjoying the warmth of the rising sun we watch early morning dippers out for a swim before work, a jogger writing footprints the length of the bay and dogs stretching their legs with yappy conversation along the way.

A quick dip and muck about on the golden sands and off to some local shops where we pick up some info on a good walk and snorkel spots. I love seaside shops, they remind me so much of childhood holidays, frizbees, buckets and spades, fishing nets and big plastic toys that bring a sense of nostalgia everytime I find myself in one of these shops. We get carried away and induldge in a fly swat and frizbee - competition weight for just 6NZ$
Action MattAction MattAction Matt

Comes with fins, goggles, snorkel and wet suit
I may add.

A short drive brings us to Cathederal Cove car park and a 15 minute walk to Gemstone Bay where a snorkel trail has been marked out in the waters by the Department of Conservation. Marker bouys above the surface show infromation on the marine life below. A local teacher taking his students on a day trip lends me his wetsuit taking a definite sting out of the chilly water. Schools of pipefish, clams, snapper could all be seen up close despite poor visability. Back to the van for lunch and then we return further this time to Cathederal Cove. Its a picture perfect setting with surf to play in limestone archway leading into Mare’s Leg Cove and the reason for its name. The other end of the beach, a steep cliff pours water down haning vines and forms a natural shower to clean off salt after taking a dip. We read and sunbath and spend and evening in a holiday park with Chili and wine for dinner by candle light - yum yum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Cathedral CoveCathedral Cove
Cathedral Cove

One of the rare occasions you see Emma in a church


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb