Cathedral Cove & Hot Water Beach


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Hahei
October 13th 2007
Published: November 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Coromandel Peninsular
We drove through kauri forests to the beautiful Coromandel Peninsular for the day. We stopped at Hahei Beach, which was simply stunning in the sunshine, for a spot of lunch. We cooked delicious fluffy pancakes overlooking the sea and then walked off our yummy feast by trekking down to Cathedral Cove. At the bottom of the cliff, you find an incredible archway eroded from the limestone cliffs. It was well worth the walk, as the sea was a gorgeous aquamarine, playfully lapping at the white sandy shore, paradise! We puffed our way back up the hill and drove to Hot Water Beach.

Getting ourselves into hot water
Typically the sun decided to disappear behind the clouds when we arrived at Hot Water Beach. Undetered, we hired a spade and dashed across the beach towards the madding crowd of bathers. It was a truly bizarre experience, lots of people on a cold beach sitting in steaming pools of water. We tried an empty pool at the front and got all excited about sitting in really warm water on the beach. We dug down with our spade and steaming hot water would gurgle up from the depths, reheating the pool. However, a rogue wave ruined our fun and left us yelping with the shock of cold sea water. So we pool-hopped to the next vacant spot, but this didn't prove so toasty, more tepid. Feeling a bit shivery, we envious espied our neighbours pool, which was happily steaming away. As soon as they jumped out, we jumped in and it was bloody hot! Ouch! Ouch! It was vaguley sulphourous smelly but not too bad. We tried to inch our way in but there were some serious hot spots in our sand and everytime we moved, a new vent of hot water shot up - we were turning into pink lobsters. When completely boiled we decided to make tracks back to the van, which was the worst bit: streaking across the beach in the freezing cold in just your swimmers. Brrrrr!!! With sand everywhere in the van, we drove down to Rotorua for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

too hot!too hot!
too hot!

looks like it´s too cold, but it was too hot!!


18th November 2007

pools of hot sand
Lovely view for lunch, you lucky ducks. The other side of the cove picture looks as if Jase, holding Rach by the shoulders, is about to stake her on the beach flotsom. I love the pics on the Weymouthy-brown sand, but it's hot pools on a beach. How strange that must be. Very nice piccys.

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb