Monday 14th March - Coromandel


Advertisement
Published: March 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Up early after an early night and a good night sleep.
Into the showers early before the rest of the site wakes up, then breakfast outside the van. Still sunny, we have been lucky so far

We set off at about 09:00, we have decided that we will fuel up first thing everyday, as the petrol stations do not appear to be as available as we are use to. I programmed the GPS for a gas station at Whitianga. We arrived there and fuelled up and then parked and went for coffee/ hot chocolate. I have a pastry, I am really getting into the pastries and cakes, like date scones etc. Today is really good date, walnut and apricot cake!!

We set off again. Progress is slow with steep winding narrow roads. But the scenery is fantastic and there are regular stops to take photographs. The pattern was the same, first there was a steep winding climb, and as we came over the crest of the hill there would be a fantastic view looking out to sea. We would then drop down the other side of the hill, and we would repeat this again. I have to pull over to allow cars to pass, although the roads in this area are relatively quiet.

As we leave the Coramandel Forest Park and join SH 2 the roads become less winding and progress is a lot better, although there is more traffic. We actually get up to 80 kph at some points. We stop at a supermarket to restock and get something for dinner. (I managed to maneuver the camper van around the supermarket car park without too much carnage!)

We arrived at the site at about 17:00, a bit later than I had planned. We stayed at Pappamoa, just outside Tauranga on the Western Bay of Plenty. This campsite is 5 stars and is really nice. We got a pitch virtually right on the beach, with Mt. Maugani visible about 10 km down the coast. As we were checking in the receptionist noticed that we were from Scotland, and said; “I will get there one day!”. Then as we were exchanging details “Flower of Scotland “ came through the speakers and she invited us to “sing along!”
The weather is still fine and is around 23 degrees. The forecast is the same for the next few days so we decided to stay at Pappamoa for two days (3 nights) and leave on Thursday morning. We are very conscious that we don’t want to be whizzing around and forget that this is also a vacation and it should be relaxed.

The site has a restaurant, so we decide to eat out and save the Chicken Salad that we had bought for dinner, and have it for lunch tomorrow.

We turn in; making up the beds is a bit easier as we get into the swing of things!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb