Our world tour Part 1


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty
October 14th 2016
Published: October 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

13 of October 2016

New Zealand really offers a great diversity of activities and interesting things to see and do.

What we did today was something I had never heard of or read about. We went to see glow worms in caves. Difficult to take photos of the worms because the lights produced by the worms are very small. The worm itself is about the size (and format) of a match. As is the case with fireflies, the light production is limited to a small part of its body.

The gowworms live in caves that have been formed by erosion over thousands of years. The caves are about 30 to 50 meters under the surface and there is no natural light. This environment combined with a high humidity and constant cool temperature seem the triggers for to the glow worm phenomena. Really interesting.

We had the fortune of being the only visitors on the tour and got a great explanation of the wonders of the glow worm.

The visit ended, as had our walk in the forest with Billy, with a tea ceremony, where we drank a local tea that seems to be good for almost everything.

The drive to and from the caves in Waitomo, where there are about 500 caves, took about 2 hours, (so 4 hours in total) which took us again through what certainly must be one of the most productive dairy land in the world.

The day ended in the same bistro where we ate the other night. Great food and a nice admosphere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb