Day # 3


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty
June 11th 2015
Published: June 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Its been a mixed bag with the weather today. Lovely sunshine, cloudy periods and the odd rain squall. So coats on, waterproof camera out and an attitude that we wont melt😊. After leaving Bowentown we headed down to Waihi beach for a coffee then off to Waihi town to visit the Martha Mine. Walked the 4km Pit Rim Walkway. Great walk around the rim of the mine. It is currently not working as a major slip has closed it since Easter weekend. Information boards around the walkway made for some interesting facts. We were going to take a shovel but for every tonne of rock they get 3 teaspoons of gold (Lance isn't that good on a shovel). They also had red poppies on the fence around the town side of the mine. Each poppy was named with local lives lost, amazing how many poppies for such a small town. You can see them on the Pumphouse photo.

Next stop was Karangahake Gorge. We have done the Hauraki Cycle Trail through this area as well as walked some of the other tracks. Today we headed up the Crown Tramway Track which was stunning. This is such a cool place and we will be back again.

Last stop for the day and tonight is Tararu reserve (North end of Thames)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb