Hello from New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty
December 16th 2010
Published: December 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Chris's Section

We're loving New Zealand so far. Our first stop was Auckland. Although we only spent a day here (we'll be returning before we fly to the US) we like what we saw. We headed to Rotorua to stay with Lou's family. It was so nice to have a few home comforts – thanks guys for being so welcoming. The main challenge here was to buy a car for under $2000 (£1000), which we'd been told would be difficult. I think we were lucky as we found a good car for $1600 and so far it's been a little star!

Rotorua is a really nice place. It's famous for its thermal mud pools and ever-present sulphurous odour. The place stinks of rotten eggs. You kinda get used to it after a while. Rotorua is also famous for its Maori culture and large Maori population. By the way, the locals pronounce the word Maori differently to us westerners. It sounds like the word 'mouldy' but with a silent d. I hope that makes sense.

We headed off after a few days to stay with my friend from Sheffield, Paul, who now lives in Papamoa with his girlfriend Nisi.
Redwood forestRedwood forestRedwood forest

Look at them muscles!
They have a fab little place right by the beach. Papamoa is just down the road from Mount Maunganui, which a NZ tourist spot. The whole area is fabulous – you guys are so lucky to live here. We spent a couple of days just chilling and going for walks. We also had a boozy night out which was a lot of fun. One thing we've noticed NZ is cheaper than Oz for most things, especially food & drink - thank god!

The highlight of NZ so far has been going out on Paul's new boat for a fishing trip. We had a great day out and some great weather. Unfortunately the fish weren't biting. I did catch a starfish, but I don't think that counts. Hopefully we'll find time to go out again.

The past couple of days have been spent in a tent. We set of for the Coromandel Peninsular, a couple of hours north of Paul's place. The whole area is really beautiful. We had a lot of fun, even if we managed to break the tent twice! I definitely need to invest in a thicker mattress – my bloody back!!!!

Nearly Xmas. I
Luge in RotoruaLuge in RotoruaLuge in Rotorua

Lots of fun - although I look special needs in this pic
can't get my head around it – it's 20c+ outside. Not very Xmassy. Going to be a strange one this year.


Louise's Section

We landed about two weeks ago in Auckland, had a nice chilled out time there mooching around town, drinking some beer and consuming some great kebabs.

We then headed out to Rotorua to stay with my family friends. It was bliss, ensuite bedroom (again) and great food and wine and beer (thanks again Chris for the beer). It was great to see them all on their patch as they emigrated many years ago and I have only seen them on their UK visits. Here's a shout out to Charlotte and Hannah who kept us entertained too on our stay even if it meant Charlotte nearly breaking her neck on her trampoline... and yes I had a go but bloody hell it's tiring.

We managed to buy a car for $1600 (£800). Until now we thought wow what a great bargain but we shall wait and see why it has died before we repeat that statement.

We only did a couple of touristy things in Rotorua because we should be heading back
Rotorua Rotorua Rotorua

Stinky bubbling thermal mud pools
a few more times. We had a lovely stroll through Redwoods forest and saw some amazing views. The New Zealand scenery is fantastic and reminds me a lot of the Lake District back home. We also went luging (if that is the correct term). Considering I was quite nervous I thought I did really well managing to do all three levels and I didn't seem to be the slowest. Admittedly though it did look like I was out with my carer for much of the day. Anyone coming to Rotorua should do the luge and if you dare (I didn't) the sky swing which looks great fun but terrifying. I would also recommend Fat Dog Cafe or Takeaway place for grub in the town. My god the sandwiches and cakes are to die for and only $10 (£5) for a combo including a drink. Needless to say with Chris in tow we went here twice on our visit.

A few days later we headed onto Papamoa (about 20 mins from Tauranga) to stay with Chris' best mate from college. He also emigrated a few years back. So far, we have had the boys dressed up in fancy dress in rehearsal for new years eve. We've been out to their local and got a bit merry but gave the guitarist and his backing tracks probably the best audience ever and got the other locals up dancing (before this it was just him and his stuff all alone on the dance floor). We've tramped (the local term for walking/trekking) up a big hill for some more fantastic views (Paul and Nisi may disagree with the size of the hill).

We have introduced Chris to the Playstation game of Buzz. Think he enjoys it but gets very upset at anything involving speed rounds. I have found that drinking has lowered my intelligence levels as Jamie Oliver is not known as the 'busy chef' nor is a duck billed animal with webbed feet called a 'rattypus'!

Chris has been dragged around all of the charity shops so Nisi and I can find our costumes for new years eve. I should mention that we are not going to a party but staying in a cabin in a caravan park on the northern part of the island and thought this would be amusing.

Yesterday we took Paul's boat out for its second outing. We had planned to catch many fish for our dinner but sadly Chris catching a Starfish was as exciting as it got 😞 but on the up side we had fantastic weather, views and company and I only felt sea sick once.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The crewThe crew
The crew

Check out the hat
Bay of PlentyBay of Plenty
Bay of Plenty

View from the top of the Mount


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb