To The Moon & Back


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty » White Island
October 8th 2006
Published: October 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Whakatane was meant to be a brief visit, but we were around long enough to become experts at the correct local pronounciation......Fffffffakatane. The big draw of Whakatane is White Island, an active marine volcano 60kms off the coast and arguably New Zealand's best kept secret. However despite the blue skies, the wind was coming from the wrong direction preventing any landings and at one point it looked like it would remain a well kept secret from us.

After 3 days the southerly winds calmed sufficiently to allow us the opportunity to get out to the island. The experience involves being issued with a safety pack, comprising of a yellow saftey hard hat and a gas mask. The need for the gas mask is readily evident with the sulphur in the air, although quite what use the hard hat might be in the event of an eruption is open to debate. It seemed on face value to be an expensive day out @ $150, but without doubt it will rank as one of the highlights of the whole trip.

Whakatane itself provided enough diversions to occupy for the 3 days waiting, although Ross would be disappointed to hear that the opportunity to get a Whakatane United game in passed us by. If anybody reading this is heading to Whakatane leave enough time for White Island just in case a trip is cancelled due to southerly winds and you could do a lot worse than stay at Karibu Backpackers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

White IslandWhite Island
White Island

Landing at the jetty
White IslandWhite Island
White Island

Crater Lake
White IslandWhite Island
White Island

Old Mining Works
White IslandWhite Island
White Island

Old Mine Works
WhakataneWhakatane
Whakatane

The "coffee cup" survives - seen here relaxing with TimTams in Karibu Backpackers
WhakataneWhakatane
Whakatane

The entrance to the harbour
WhakataneWhakatane
Whakatane

Maori carving
Whakatane HarbourWhakatane Harbour
Whakatane Harbour

White Island V


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb