New Zealand - North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty » Tauranga
March 28th 2015
Published: March 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Good evening everyone, so we left Rotorua this morning, now looking back I think I was a bit deluded with regards our accomodation, yes it was drabby and dull but I think after Kiddi packers, it was just peace and quiet so I got carried away. We did our washing there and had to hang it up in an old shed which was red hot, Stu then said he was going to get his money's worth and go in the mineral pool, well no way that was at least 44 degrees, it was sooooo hot, I couldn't even get a leg in it, Stu tried desperately, I said 'give it up, you won't have any skin left', he continued trying, looking for control buttons around the pool but in the end was defeated. We drove off to the local market this morning (Sunday) in stinky, smelly Rotorua, you either like the smell of constant sulphur or you don't, it wasn't that I didn't like it, it just was a little annoying !!! Anyhow we liked the little market, brought some more fresh greens for our stir fry, oh yes, had a lovely slap up stir - fry last night with beef, that just was the best. The market was small but had a lovely atmosphere, we had a coffee and a chit chat with the locals and drove off to a place called Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, which was about an hours drive away on the coast. Well it is gorgeous, just perfect for us, it has the coast with lovely beaches, cafes, bars and restaurants and the whole place has a nice vibe! very lovely harbourside City. We are staying right by the sea, I will put view of our kitchen window up after the living room photo. Our accomodation is just lovely, a two bedroom flat, separate bedroom, separate bathroom and a studio bedroom/living room, just so nice to sit in, infact I never want to leave !!! We dumped all our stuff off, the owners who are very friendly said, 'you've got a lot of stuff' Stu said, 'we've alreadu sent stuff back to Aussie', they just looked at us, but it is all our food as well, we seem to have carrier bags of that !! Stu still can't get out of the habit of food shopping and getting reduced stuff, I can see us dumping the remains off at a backpackers hostel when we leave !! So we drove down to where Mount Maunganui is, which is a mountain, 231 metres high, we decided we would climb to the top, no we weren't doing the ropes and axes and spiked shoes bit, but took the walk way up, crikey it was hard work, thought it was never going to end, thinking on the way up, I would rather take 10 calls at work then be doing this and it was hot and humid or was that because I was sweating !!! So eventually got to the top, had a chat with two lads from Watford, they were based in Christchurch, working, engineering to help build the city up. Great 350 degree views up there, so clicky click with the camera and then down down down we went, lovely and easy, down to the beach which was just so clean and gorgeous to look at, we then drove along the coast looking at the houses, very nice, I just couldn't make up my mind which one I would like to live in, not that I'm going to !!! but they were very nice, overlooking views of the ocean. We had a drink along the seafront, went to the fish market and brought some fish to have with our stir fry, just wonderful and perfect !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



29th March 2015

NZ
Hi you two,don't think I would like the smell either,I gues those that live there must get used to it!! Looks like another lovely stopover,you did climb up high didn't you. What are you buying that you have to sent stuff to Oz? Carry on having fun,much love,keep the good work up on the blogs,we love them Love Dolly.x
30th March 2015

Hi w
Not shopping, few bits, but it is all our winter stuff, the South Island ia colder, so we wanted to get rid of those blinkin hiking boots.
30th March 2015

Hi w
Did you notice in my photos this evening, they had the wine 'Poison' at the pub we went to, meant to ask the barman where he got it from, but forgot !! It's me age !!

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb