How to lose pounds on the way to New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
March 14th 2009
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 & 2

So my first adventure to Australia has come to an end and l left the fun city on Thursday morning to catch a flight from the airport to Auckland, but not before being fleeced for $100 for being overweight with my luggage even though many of the less money grabbing airlines had let me off beforehand. So a big thank you to Qantas and the hard nose cow that worked on the check-in desk for helping me lighten my wallet.
The 2 ½ hour flight took me over two time zones and l finally arrived at my hotel for the night just after 6pm, so a quick flight actually took the whole day from start to finish. I had booked myself into the hotel that my new tour would start in the morning as it was a 7.30am kick off. It’s a shame l hadn’t spent a few days in Auckland as from the little walk around town that l took not long after l arrived gave me a relaxed and fun sense about the largest city in New Zealand.

Please do not worry about me on this trip

Within a few minutes of joining the tour bus with my new group of 13 it became very clear to me that this was to be the maddest and Adrenaline filled 3 weeks since starting this trip. Everyone (Yes including me) was up for nearly everything that would be on offer whilst travelling from the North Island to the South Island, and as this is the adventure country of the world, why not!!

Our tour guide and driver is Dave (or David, or Dodge, or Dodgy, or anything you choose to call him) was the stereo-typical Kiwi and was proud about it too. Within minutes of climbing aboard the bus/coach he told us "Let’s get out of this concrete jungle and see the real New Zealand".

Our first leg of this trip was to travel to the Bay of Islands up in the North of the North Island and over the next few hours we passed some of the greenest hills, valleys and meadows that made me think of home again. Our first stop was a Coffee Stop with the largest trees in New Zealand, the Kauri Tree. It’s a shame that many of these trees have since been chopped down and could reach about 2500 years old. The oldest known tree left now is about 800 years old and is called "The McKinney Kauri".

We then arrived at the Whangarie Falls that rolled down into an amazing thick forest of palm trees, tall trees and great foliage. We walked up and down foot paths which yet again involved those bloody stairs again. It also gave us the group time to get to know each other and especially everybody's names.

The most photographed Public Toilets in New Zealand, if not the World

For our next comfort stop we stopped at Kawakawa to see and use the most photographed Toilets in New Zealand, if not the world, these toilets are the result of a competition to design them and the winner used as many recycled items as possible, people on their travels through New Zealand stop here just to see these toilets. I am not in the habit of taking a camera into public toilets, but you can be forgiven in Kawakawa. Frederick Hundertwasser's toilet was opened in a dawn ceremony. To Hundertwasser, a toilet is very special because you meditate in a toilet. Like a church. "The similarity is not so farfetched" - he says. Kawakawa was Hundertwasser's home for 25 years. Hundertwasser says straight lines are evil. There are no straight lines in the toilet. Only crooked beauty.

Haruru Falls

We stopped for another walk around and this time it was to take a couple of mile trek to see the Haruru Falls. After spending a funny few minutes being followed by a Tit-like bird who loved having it's picture taken and to the relief of Sabrina who is Bird-phobic we continued to walk, and walk and walk passing some views overlooking the hills and lakes all around us. After about an hour we started to think that we had missed a turning to see the falls when out of nowhere we came around the largest falls so far.

The best boat trip ever, and l mean EVER www.rocktheboat.co.nz

To look at her she looked awful but once on-board you knew straight away it was to be so much fun. The "Rock" spent its early life as a car ferry, moving from port to port. Then a few years ago it was turned into a tour boat complete with upstairs accommodation, the is a on-board fully stocked bar. We arrived and are allocated our rooms. So the 4 guys in the group are shown to their 6 bunked room with 2 of the girls shared with us and the rest are in another room. There were also other guests with us on this trip too. Once sorted and ready to go the Skipper (Jonny) and his crew (Step, Stefan, Chris, Elliot and Jose) run through a few points the off we go.

Within minutes of leaving the port in Paihia we begin the games, first up was the air rifle shooting from the back of the vessel, we were aiming at a moving target from a moving platform is a challenge for even the best marksmen. A plastic duck, Matilda jibes and jives in “The Rock’s” wake as we head out to the islands providing our moving target. Each guest gets a chance to hit Matilda with the air rifles with a free drink up for grabs. So up l go and miss, but not by far, hit in wooded plinth the bloody duck is sitting on. By the time all the group has finished the boys are completed overtaken by the girls and their ability to hit the duck.

Fishing was next up and as a complete non-fisher and still am as after about 20 minutes of having the bait eaten by the fish rather than being caught by it l soon gave up, but many others soon hooked sea trout, locally known as Kahawai. Whilst the others were enjoying the fishing l took time to enjoy the fantastic scenery that the Bay of Island was displaying in front of me.

Kayaking

The Bay of Islands offers up stunning scenery during daylight and at night. We were given the chance to kayak under a starry sky and get the chance to see phosperescence. Paddling through this sun charged algae was a first for me. It described as “fairy dust” and an underwater fireworks display. Kayaking in the dark was great fun and the sea was nice a calm and under a full moon too.

Dinner's Up

The crew then cooked up a great BBQ of Lamb Chops, Steak and Bangers served with loads of salads, pastas and breads then washed down with more beers form the bar. That’s when the real getting to know you really started for our new group and did become quite a late night for most.

Rise and Shine on Day 2

We all rise by 8am and served breakfast which even included Porridge, that l haven't had for years and was a welcome change, in fact l did have two serving and really did set me up for the day’s activities ahead. Once everyone was washed and fed the skipper took off towards our next destination passing a private island with an amazing house (Not quiet Richards Branson's island, but not far off). We even passing an apartment on top of the hilltop that was $20,000 a night (People have far too much money).

We head out round Tapeka Point into the Islands we will pass Russell, the first permanent European settlement in New Zealand, formerly known as Kororareka. The first island we catch sight of is Robertson Island. One of the sheltered bays on this island is called Cook’s Cove after Captain James Cook. Cook was the first European to visit the area; he named the region in 1769. Cook’s Cove is reputably where Cook came into the sheltered waters of the Bay of Islands to repair his ship after hitting a rock off the coast.

New Zealand was first discovered about 1000 years ago by the great Polynesian navigator Kupe who sailed here from his homeland Hawaiki. He named the islands Aotearoa, Land of the Long White Cloud. Kupe returned to Hawaiki and left instruction on how to get here.

About 400 years later Maori arrived back in Aotearoa with seven great canoes and began to populate the North Island.

The Dutchman Abel Tasman landed in 1642, charted part of the coastline and named it Staten land, believing it was part of the Australian continent. When his mistake was discovered, the country was renamed New Zealand.

In 1769 James Cook came to New Zealand, extensively charted both North and South Island and gave the Bay of Islands its present name.

And Yes another trip that involved more stairs

So we come ashore on Robertson Island and not far from the beach is a path that leads to some wooden steps that take you right up to the highest point on the island. Once the whole group was on top Chris, one of the Boats crew tells us some facts about the island and the names of some of the surrounding islands that we could all see on this cloudless blue day. Once back down on the ground again we had a couple of hours to spare to snorkel, swim or even go kayaking again. Whilst snorkelling, we even spotted sea urchins and parrot fish. Elliot another of the "Rocks" crew collects some of the Sea Urchins and once back on board we all had a chance to try this delicacy. In Korea & Japan this is sold for more money than truffles and caviar. The Sea Urchins shell is cracked open and the stomach is removed and you eat the roe like meat, but only once you have removed as much of the salt that you can. This is done by placing the roe on your arm and moving it about, a salt like slime is left on your arm and once you have got a load off you chew the roe, and the truth is l really liked it too.

Not long before 3pm we arrive back at the port of Paihia and then a short walk to the hostel for tonight’s stay,” The mousetrap" is a family run hostel and was a comfortable stay before we headed off on our next adventure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Now this is a ShagNow this is a Shag
Now this is a Shag

Shags are goose-sized dark long-necked birds similar to cormorants but smaller and generally slimmer with a characteristic steep forehead
Haruru FallsHaruru Falls
Haruru Falls

Another great waterfall
The "Rock"The "Rock"
The "Rock"

The best house boat ever


16th March 2009

That $20,000 a night home
I don't know if you heard....we have a silly show here in the States where a man or a woman go on looking for a husband or wife. It is named The Bachelor or the The Bachelorette. The latest installment was The Bachelor and the final days were filmed at that house. Not too shabby, huh? It is an awful show!!!! You look great sweets! Talk to you soon. I just missed you on Facebook this morning. (Morning for me) Love you!
17th March 2009

Belated Happy Birthday!!!
Certainly one to remember!! Your looking good kiddo. Saw a lot of your pictures on one of Billy Connolly's Tour shows. Your bound to have another great adventure. Take good care. X

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb