Day 95


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 5th 2011
Published: January 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Possibly the best Christmas Eve ever we had an early start to catch the Dolphin Explorer where we were hoping we would get the chance to swim with wild dolphins!! We were a bit worried when we were told the boat had broken down but luckily this meant we had a free upgrade to the full day cruise round the islands!!! So we set off around the islands in the sunshine before a pod of 30 teenage bottle nose dolphins was spotted ahead! we all jumped into action grabbing snorkels and fins and jumped off the boat into a giant net attached to the boat! When we were finally given the signal we swam out as quickly as we could into the sea, heads down making dolphin like noises through our snorkels! Before we knew it the dolphins were all around us swimming underneath before flashing past right in front of our faces to jump spectacularly out of the water! The experience was absolutely incredible and when we got back on board we had possibly the biggest grins ever! Our next stop was the Hole In the Rock- a giant rock with a hole in it! as you'd expect! at the edge of the islands! Luckily the sea was calm enough to sail right through it and so we ooooed and aaaaahed at the massive cave before heading back around to see some more of the stunning islands! At lunch we stopped in a beautiful bay where the water was so clear that you could see huge manta rays swimming around the boat! We cruised back to shore before heading to Carols on the Green - it wasn't quite an English Christmas especially when White Christmas was sung in the blazing sunshine- but it got us more into the spirit and so we headed back to the hostel for more drinking games to welcome in Christmas- followed shortly after by a spot of skinny dipping in the sea at 2am!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb