A place in the sun!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 28th 2009
Published: January 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey!
Hello to all.
Currently having a lovely week in the northern most parts of New Zealand in the very picturesque Bay of Islands. We spent our first two nights in the rowdy 'Base' hostel here in Paihia, where the Kiwi Experience bus drops you off. Shared our room with some chatty fellow travellers though and the first night BBQ was good :-)
Weve now moved for the rest of the week, across the road at a really cute hostel called The Mousetrap- its a bit of a rabbit warren inside but some lovely views of the sea from the balcony and some great common areas.
And so, what have we been up to???
WELL! been swimming in the sea of course, went on a trip in a Maori canoe today and paddled out to some of the islands in the first part of the bay- attempted to snorkel (Kt much more successful than me- i just couldnt get the hang of the breathing!) anyway, fun none-the-less, and Kt even dived for some mussels!
Yesterday we took a trip up to the very tip of the north island- the views were stunning and we saw where the pacific meets the tazman sea. The truck also drives down the 90mile beach which is actually a public highway. Saw some very old Kauri (think thats how you spell it) trees. Went to a gorgeous little beach for lunch and did some paddling- we would have swam but we went straight to the massive sand dunes after that so thought it wasnt such a good idea- still got very sandy though!
Tomorrow we head out on one of the big boats for a whole day trip round the bay, hopefully spot some dolphins, they frequent this area and theres a small possibility we could swim with them if they dont have babies with them but shall have to wait and see.......
Weve already walked up and down this side of the bay but will no doubt explore further before we head back to Auckland.
Not sunburnt yet but that may be a different story by the end of the week- its VERY sunny down here!
So goodbye for now, will endevour to update before heading south again
All our love, Kt and Iz xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



28th January 2009

Welcome to NZ
Had a message from Auntie Sandra saying you were in NZ. I went to school with her in Hendon but moved to Auckland 20 years ago. Hope you are having a fab time, sure put on the weather for you!!! If you get a minute, drop me a line and we can maybe catch up and I'll show you around a bit.. Enjoy Pete

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb