Piahia - Magic Bus Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 16th 2007
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Oh Hi . . .

16th Jan: Well what a journey... Our first day up to Piahia and it took 10 hours on the bus but we finally arrived inour Hostel.

We headed off to the BBQ party and met upwith some friends and had a couple of drinks. Not a late one as up early to head off to 'Cape Reigna' (the northest point of NZ)

17th Jan: CAPE REIGNA:
Well, although this was also a very long bus journey we had lots of stops and lots of fun things to do.

First stop was Cape Reigna. Me and Kara choose to walk the short route to the lighthouse! Watched a 'Maori' family dancing/singing and saw the two seas meet (not sure which two seas they were?!?!) Then back on the bus to next stop - The Sand Dunes.

Trecked for about half an hour up the sand dune with a body board (ok maybe it was only 15 minutes, but it felt like forever). Kara decided to stay at the bottom and take photos!!! Unfortunatly Kara forgot her glasses that day so i am not sure if these are me on the photos, but i think they are.
This was so fun but a bit scary at the same time.

We then headed off to the 90 Mile Beach (it is only 64.5 miles really but i wont bore you with that story!) We sped down the beach after going several miles through quick sand. We soon stopped, got off the bus and all followed the driver to the sea and watched as he began to dig beneath the sand. There were millions of clams. He taught us how to break open the shell and eat them. I had a go and breaking them open and eating them raw, but Kara was a whimp. I also made everyone else on the bus try one - they were quite yummy!

18th Jan: MY BIRTHDAY
We had already booked to swim with the dolphins today so we jumped on the boat and set off. Weather was horrible! Kara was nearly sick!

We sailed up to the famous 'Hole in the Rock' but could not go through in the boat as the sea was too high. We then stopped off on a deserted island but it was too cold to go snorkelling! We finally re-boarded the boat and went to find the dolphins. We eventually found them but they had babies so were not allowed to get in with them - oh well!

That evening we went for a meal with some friends we had made and then went for drinks to celebrate.

All in all it was a good Birthday.






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Me sand duning!Me sand duning!
Me sand duning!

That's me coming down the hill
DolphinsDolphins
Dolphins

This was the best shot! They were so cute.


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0965s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb