Headland Sculpture on the Gulf 2013


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Waiheke Island
February 3rd 2013
Published: February 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Everyother year Waiheke puts on a sculpture walk known as "Headland's Sculpture on the Gulf". I got to meet up with two people that I met in Laos - Chris and Emily - and do the tour again this year. This was my third time doing the event (I've not missed one since first arriving in NZ).

I've posted a few photos of most the pieces. Personally I thought a number of works/ideas have been done before over the last few years,so in my mind was probably the least interesting installation I'd been to. I thought the most interesting and inspiring pieces were: "Sheep Track" by Gina Ferguson and Gregor Kregar's "Pavilion Structure".

I must say that I thought the organisers did a great job this year swapping the start / end points of the walk. You now end your journey back at the ferry terminal (after starting out by taking the $5 shuttle bus up to the trail head). The prior two years you'd start from the ferry terminal and walk up hill in the summer heat (i remember lots of tired and dehydrated people (especially elders)) and come out at the end of the trail where there were no services (toilets, water, food, shade etc...) and you had to wait in the heat for the dusty and croweded bus to pick you up for the return trip to the ferry.

Now you disembark from the ferry and catch a tour bus to the top of the trail. You gernerally are walking downhill, which makes it easier for everyone to enjoy the art and keeps the pace of individuals on the trail up. The trail brings you back to the terminal where the organisers have setup a great temporary pavilion with gift shop, cafe, live music venue and indoor/outdoor seating for you to relax after your 2.5km walk. Now you can enjoy a beer and watch for your ferry to come rather than worry whether the bus was going to get you back to the terminal on time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Matthew Muir's April 1975Matthew Muir's April 1975
Matthew Muir's April 1975

Homage to NZ's beach cabin (batch) culture.
Carolyn Williams' Field NotesCarolyn Williams' Field Notes
Carolyn Williams' Field Notes

This was one of my favourites. The lazer cut elements are the visual representations of sound bites. These "sounds" were strung between elastic bands that were fixed to the ground and a tree limb above. As the limb swayed the elastic band would stretch and flex.
Anthony cribb's 24/01/2013 - 17/02/2013Anthony cribb's 24/01/2013 - 17/02/2013
Anthony cribb's 24/01/2013 - 17/02/2013

Chris and Emily got to run Buddy through this interactive canine agility course.
Gina Ferguson's Sheep TrackGina Ferguson's Sheep Track
Gina Ferguson's Sheep Track

This was probably one of my top two. very unusual installation consisting of knitted sheep's wool. Great visual line in the landscape and interesting texture underfoot.
Phil Price's SnakePhil Price's Snake
Phil Price's Snake

Kinetic Piece approximatly 6m high x 6m across. Each orange section moved independently.
Gregor Kregar's Pavilion StructureGregor Kregar's Pavilion Structure
Gregor Kregar's Pavilion Structure

This was perhaps my most favourite piece. Build out of scrap materials no longer than 3feet or so and no continous structure, e.g. all the independent elements summed up to the whole.


14th February 2013

Appreciation
Excellent photos of a fascinating visit to "Headlands Sculpture on the Gulf.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb