Another "WOW" day.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Waiheke Island
March 31st 2011
Published: March 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Almost my last day in NZ and I am still saying "wow" .
As I have said before North Island dosesn't sell itself so well - and often people don't spend long in Auckland - they just fly in and drive out... but what are they missing???
Auckland lies inthe Harauki Gulf which is part of the Pacific and there are so many beautiful island in the Gulf. Most of the time wherever you are you can see Rangitoto which is a dormant volcanic island and some of the other islands are predator free native animal sanctuaries, and on other islands people live there and even commute to the city by ferry.
So today was an island day for me and Patricia kindly dropped me at the wharf and I took the trip to Waiheke Island. By booking online for a saver ticket I got the ferry and a 2 hr bus tour and then use of busses for the rest of the day- $39...what good value.
The sky was blue the sea was so calm and the light clear- altogether a perfect day for the cruise which is about 50 mins...so it's lovely coming out of the harbour and cruising by Rangitoto and other islands to Waiheke.
You can see from the fotos how beautiful it was... and there are many small boutique vineyards , olive groves - fabulous coastline and beaches and of course some fabulously expenisive property. Some very nice little towns with lovely restos and cafes and cutesy gift shops. So it was quite easy to spend the day walk and sit on the beach with an icecream. I could spend a week here easily and do walks and visit the wineries and eat some great food.
Back on the ferry and then I got the bus back "home" - great bus links to park and ride stations all the way along the North Shore from the city with separate bus roadways rather like the ones in Brisbane....so I was back in plenty time to cook the "tea"...my turn. I had cooked a chicken last night with lemon and oregano and so did my coleslaw, bean salad, new pots and green salad with toms and peppers. Didn't get round to making a pud so we had to have fejoa and icecream - what else!!!
Well thats it for today - Susan it's very easy doing the blog and the fotos - Alison and Ross thanks for arranging to pick me up and I don't think that it would be so exciting reading a blog about what I am doing in Eastbourne - Sue - I hope you don't get withdrawal symptons when the blogs stop!!
End of the day and beautiful sky and sunset form the deck here.
Love to all
Lynne


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st March 2011

wow
Hi just a quick note to wish you a safe trip home it may take you a little while to settle down and get out of holiday mode. You have certainly had a great look around Auckland and surrounds. Have to admit I have never tasted a feijoa will have a look in the supermarket next week. Enjoyed looking at all you photos some very good shots. Bye for now Love from Jill and John
31st March 2011

That's a sign of a good trip.
Now that's a sign of a great trip--when you are still saying "Wow" when you'd have thought you'd seen it all. Have a safe journey home, Lynne, and I shall miss your blogs too! Lots of love, Pauline in France
31st March 2011

Trip
Have a safe trip home.
31st March 2011

What a holiday!
Hi Lynne - you've really been through some highs and lows on this holiday and it's certainly something to remember. We have been back in Brisbane for 2 weeks today and it's already like we have never been away. The time just flies doesn't it? Please remember that you are always welcome to visit and stay at our place in Brissie if you ever are back our way (maybe in a few years?). We would love to meet you. Fiona & Anthony
1st April 2011

Wow!
Loving the sunset photo Mother!! xxx
20th October 2011

A Successful Travel
Fantastic views you\'ve got! Waiheke Island is beautiful place indeed. My friend once been there and they make the most of their holiday on one of the finest Waiheke Island accommodation that offer a full range of activities.

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb