New Zealand (first stop)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Devonport
January 11th 2007
Published: January 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi, sorry for the delay in updating everyone but we have been much too busy doing things and enjoying ourselves to sit round computers and updating!

We arrived in Auckland as planned on 11th January (this was after a slight delay in leaving Sydney as a German couple had got themselves lost in the airport and we had a half hour wait for for them to be found.

Stopped our first night at the Copthorne Hotel, Auckland where we took in the sites. We got a ferry over to Devonport which is a lovely town the otherside of the harbour, where I had a lovely fish meal. After walking around abit we then got the ferry back into Auckland and headed up to Sky Tower. From the front, Sky Tower looked unusual but not particularly impressive or big, especially after the large buildings in Hong Kong but we paid our entrance fee and went to the observation tower where we were totally spell bound.

What fantastic views you see of Auckland and the surrounding areas, it is well worth the visit fabulous. Bob walked on the platform with the glass floor (I didn't, although there were notices saying that the glass was as strong as the surrounding concrete, I decided I didn't want to put that to the test!).

From Auckland we drove down further South and went to Rotoria, where we saw the Thermal Pools and Geyers. Unfortunately at both Auckland and Rotoria the weather was not being it's kindest.... lots of rain and dull cloud so we didn't see either at it's best but what we did see was very spectacular. I will get round to putting some more pictures on the site hopefully in the next couple of days and you will see some of the great sites.

From Rotoria we carried on to Lake Tapu (I think this is the spelling but I don't have my journal with me at the moment to check the spelling so apologies if this is wrong). We stayed the night there and in the morning when the sun shone over the lake we could see the why it was said to be larger than Singapore!

From here we started our return journey to Auckland, first stopping off at the Hukka Falls, now they were impressive, what a huge mass of water. Again the weather was not at it's best, one minute raining the next sunny but it was certainly worth the stop.

From here we went on to Waitomia Caves where I did the Cave Experience. I have to go now so will up date more shortly. Bye

Advertisement



18th January 2007

Knew it!!
You seem to be having a great time the both of you; so much so I really regret that I didn't go with Mum when she did the OZ/NZ tour - was it 10yrs ago?! I love the pix you posted, and those you've sent over show a couple of really happy people having a great time in very high places! I'm impressed Helen, did you know you'd have to work so hard on that phobia? How is Bob doing on his personal aim for the trip, crytic eh - can you figure it out? Speak to you soon - Happy anniversary for 22nd Jan

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb