Devonport Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Devonport
December 25th 2019
Published: December 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our first appartmentOur first appartmentOur first appartment

We stayed here for the first four nights. Only 1 minute from the beach in peaceful Devonport.
We had booked an appartment trough Airbnb to shake off the jet lag. Rather than staying down town Auckland, we headed to the North Shore where the pace is slow, beaches are nice and everything was chill. Devonport was the perfect place for that. We had o two bedroom apportment 150 m. away from the beach in a scenic surburb with beautiful houses, water surrounding us and the most amazing views everytwhere you look. The most important thing was trying to turn night into day and day into night. 2nd day we more or less got up at 3am. Yikes! Apart from that one night, both Ollie and Alba were awesome. The good thing about travelling with children is that your own discomfort by sitting down for 24 hours on a fligt, or being tired at the wrong times counts for very little, because if you can keep your children happy and comfortable, it’s an instant win!



We spent the time climbing extinct vulcanoes, seeking out underground tunnels and hidden cannons, playing and swimming at the local beach and eating ice cream in the sun. Devonport was like a little village with everything within walking distance, and it
Beach timeBeach timeBeach time

First thing after dumping the bags was to head to the beach.
felt small and familiar. One day we jumped on the ferry to down town Auckland. They we planning a new City Rail Link, so the level of constuction around the centre of the city almost made it feel like home (Odense – people who live there will know what I mean). We took a stroll along the water front, and saw the most incredible sail boats.



Temps here are 20-26 degrees in the day time, so just like a nice Danish summer. When the sun is out it’s scorching, but it can get a bit chilly when it’s cloudy. It’s definitely different than travelling in the tropics. Especially in the evenings, when we need to layer up. But then we just think once about the cycle trip to school and work in the dark and in freezing temperatures with layers of clothing and hats and gloves… and we’re feeling SO happy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

First morning's breakfast on the balcony. You can just about spot the ocean in the back ground.
Cheltenham beachCheltenham beach
Cheltenham beach

This amazing place was a 10 minute walk from the appartment. Lucky us!
DevonportDevonport
Devonport

They have crazy trees here. One is more increadible than the next.
North headNorth head
North head

Alba exploring the hidden cannons.
North HeadNorth Head
North Head

More hidden cannons.
North HeadNorth Head
North Head

View of Cheltenham beach where we'd all been swimming and playing earlier in the day,
North HeadNorth Head
North Head

Everywhere you look there's more water.
Ferry to AucklandFerry to Auckland
Ferry to Auckland

It took 12 minutes to cross the water and be in down town Auckland. By car the journey would have taken about 45 mins.


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb