A warm welcome to NZ


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Central
February 2nd 2016
Published: February 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post


'Fush and chups' on the beach
So we have arrived!!!
14,000 miles, 30 hours and a menial 6 hours sleep later we touched down in Auckland, New Zealand!!
Not the hugest fans of flying (slight understatement) it felt great to have our feet back on solid ground for more than just a few hours and to unnumb our bums!
We had a lovely welcome from my cousin Nic who met us from the airport and took us to our hotel in the centre of Auckland.
Despite the obvious lack of sleep we only tried to have a wee power nap when we arrived to fight the jet lag before getting ready to go meet my cousin again for some food. We were both quite worried about being affected by jet lag but thankfully it hasn't taken to us too bad at all ??
We rounded up our first night in NZ by driving to Saint Helliers a beach on the outskirts of central Auckland and having some good ol' fashioned kiwi 'fush and chups' sat on the beach. A great way to end our first evening.

Tuesday and we were up bright and early for our first whole day in Auckland! After a good nights sleep

Me and Rich at Mount Eden
we were feeling much more perkier than the day before which wasn't too difficult to be honest.
We walked to the summit of Mount Eden the highest inactive volcano in Auckland at 196m and enjoyed some amazing 360 degree views at the top and a few obligatory couple snaps.
After this, we drove an hour out of Auckland to Piha a west coast, black sand beach where we had some lunch, spent the afternoon and got our first experience of the NZ rays- Rich got extremely burnt. Burnt t-line, watch strap and all. Note to ourselves no matter how cloudy, always wear sun cream.
We then visited the stunning Kitekite falls a three tierd waterfall in the Waitikere Ranges. It was like something out of a herbal essences advert, so pretty and was definitely worth the short bush walk to get to it.
In the evening we wondered down to Auckland viaduct with Nic had some dinner at Jack Tar a really cool bar/restaurant set in a shipping container on the waterfront with a bottle of NZ Sauvignon (obviously) and some drinks afterwards at a Brew bar.







Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Some kiwi food favourites


Nic (my big kiwi cousin) and me at the top of Mount Eden


Kite Kite waterfall


Rich at Kite Kite waterfall


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb