The Skytower Lemmings


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Central
February 28th 2009
Published: March 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Skytower dominates Aucklands skyline - as the tallest building in Auckland at 328 metres. The hotel complex also has 10 restaurants / cafe's, 8 bars, 3 casino's and a theatre - so there is always something to see and do.

From the top of the Sky Tower you get 360 views of the city - including all 48 of Auckland's volcanoes and two oceans as you can see both the east and west coasts. However - if you don't like heights (like me) - be prepared for the floor to ceiling glass on the viewing platform - and also sections of glass floor that allows you to look straight down to the street below....

If admiring the view from the comfort of the viewing platform (including cafe area or restaraunt) wasn't enough - then how about considering the Skytower Jump. The Skytower Jump I am sure is designed by for the Lemmings of our world (the computer game "lemmings" used to see little creatures jumping off of various levels - the aim of the game was to prevent them from falling).

The SkyJump is a 192 metre controlled fall at 70km/p/hr - taking 16 seconds from jump to ground..... in addition you can take the "slow" drop which suspends you level with the viewing platform for a few seconds - before you begin your full descent to the ground. I did not feel remotely tempted to take part - but if you like bungy jumping or just stepping off of very tall buildings - then this might just tickle your fancy! There was certainly a steady stream of lemmings ready to jump on the 3 days we spent in Auckland.... rather them than me!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb