Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Central
October 28th 2008
Published: October 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bill is now out of hospital and hole in his ankle is slowly healing with help of daily visits from district nurse to change dressings. Took Bill out for first beer in a week to Steamship Brewing Co bar/restaurant down by harbour, great place with log fire, comfy seats and table lamp chandeliers. Finished off in evening at Lenin bar, had shot of Absolute Los Angeles vidka, pomegranite flavour!! Went back next evening for meal, best steak and cheddar pies ever tasted.

Next day hired a car and went to Waitakere Range (Forest). A visit to the visitor centre with great look outs over the forest ans Piha Beach. Big Maori carving, a bit touristy but still good. Then drove down to Piha Beach, black sand and surfing Sue went to a walk on the beach and to look at the big (very big) rocks sticking up - Lions Head is the famous one. Bill had to watch as not allowed to get sand anywhere near the wound 😞. Drove back to Auckland via the North Shore and over the Auckland Harbour Bridge (great views). It was Labour Day and most restuarants shut, so ended up in a Belgium Beer Cafe - still Bill did get to eat the famous huge Green Lipped Mussells !

Next day drove up to Coromandel Peninsular. Stopped at town called Thames, bit like a ghost town, everything was shut including Mining tour. Went on to Coromandel town via coast road which cut between forest on right and a rocky beach of left, fantastic scenery. Had smoked mussels for lunch!Went on to Hot Water Beach, when tide is out if you dig hole in sand it fills with hot thermal water, I put my foot in one not realising how hot it would be, Bill not allowed on beach!! Then made our way back to Auckland and hit rush hour, and nightmare trying to park in City.

Decided not to drive today, so took ferry to Rangitoto Island, the last active volcano in Auckland. We took tour round island on a tractor type bus, horrible day wet and windy. Climbed to summit on boardwalk which on a good day would have had great views and photos. Also got to walk on volcanic rocks.

Good to get out and about again, went to theatre in evening to see show.








Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



1st November 2008

Back on the road again!
Hi Sue and Bill, Good to hear you are back on the road agian. x

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb