Safe Arrival In NZ - 2nd attempt


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Central
November 12th 2018
Published: November 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

SC:Internet problems...not convinced that this blog post actually went, so I'm sending it again...

Cjwrites: An easy getaway from our Guatemalan hotel at 04:30 on Friday 9th November and a reasonably comfortable flight to Dallas. Fortunately we spotted the need to change terminals before it all got too tight! but there was an anxious wait for seat allocations once at the gate. The flight from Dallas to LA is clearly hugely popular, with a lengthy list of stand-bys. Time in Dallas is as in Guatemala: 7 hours behind the UK. (SC adds: This was a good flight with a fabulous sunset and some great early evening views of LA.)

A much longer period hanging around LAX - and no lounge available that will let us in (this Priority Pass isn’t nearly as useful as we’d hoped). We ended up eating Mexican, with more of those wretched refried beans!<br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleTallBody; font-size: 17px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.301961); -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" /><br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleTallBody; font-size: 17px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.301961); -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" />We eventually made it to Auckland, New Zealand after what I reckon was about 32 hours travelling and waiting around ... to find it unseasonably cool and damp. Drat! I’ve packed for hot summer weather. But hey, we’re here in Aotearoa: Land of the Long White Cloud, of flushable toilet paper, English Breakfast tea in the cafes and a merciful absence of refried beans ‘cowpats’ at breakfast.

SC - I think it was about 26 hours but either way we were shattered and needed sleep and a shower. We have an appartment in downtown Auckland and after a nap and freshen up we headed out - in the rain - for supper. Ended up in a place called "Amano" which was abslouetly fabulous... we sat on stools and watched the kitched at work. Endlessly fascinating and an object lesson in effective teamwork. Sunday night and the place was packed. I had Wagu beef carpaccio and Cathy the pork belly. see photos. We have to go back...

We're here, safe and sound and we're hoping for some better weather tomorrow. Tonight was the first rain we have seen in 3 weeks.

Four seasons in one day is normsl here apparently!

Advertisement



14th November 2018

RECEIVED
Hi I have now managed to read your posts from arrival in NZ and 2 after but the pictures from this blog (safe arrival in NZ haven’t come through. Enjoy and keep the blogs coming!

Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb