The South Pacific Seas - Any Port in a Storm


Advertisement
New Caledonia's flag
Oceania » New Caledonia » South Province » Noumea
November 11th 2014
Published: November 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Dear Friends and Family,

We now embarked on the luxury portion of our trip, cruising aboard the Celebrity Century to the South Pacific Islands of New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji. The cruise ship had plenty for us to see and do including art auctions, movies, live concerts, Broadway style productions and even a kids centre for Riley. We had set dinner reservations with a family from Melbourne. Alex and Aja were great company and their kids, Vincent and Luca were so good with Riley.

Our first port was the bustling port of Noumea in New Caledonia. We hiked out to the Bay of Lemons for a day at the beach, then wandered around town. In the afternoon, I went hiking further afield to areas that tourists don't usually see. It was a little nerve wrecking when a half dozen family dogs come running up to you to check if you are friend or foe.

Our next port was the Mystery Island of Vanuatu, renamed to appear intriguing. It was a small island that we could hike around it in the morning and still have time to sunbathe and swim in the afternoon. We also met Sally, Richard and their family and friends. Their little girls loved Riley and he looked forward to seeing them for the rest of the cruise at the pool, meal time and in the hallways.

In Fiji, we stopped at Suva and enjoyed a Fijian fire walking show and tour of the town. I vaguely recalled the fresh food market from my trip here as a child. Unfortunately our water taxi in Latouka did not work out and we were left stranded at the pier. Oh well, there are always some hiccups during travels to remote locations.

They saved the best stop till last. The Isle of Pines in New Caledonia was the most beautiful island. We had a quick tour to the Queen's Grotto and then spent the rest of the day snorkelling and sunbathing in pristine conditions. I saw lots of coral, fish and sea life, including clown fish, octopus, and a neon coloured sea snake. Very exciting but I moved away from him quite quickly.

After 12 nights, we arrived back in Sydney harbour and met my godparents and my father who was in town. Riley had changed a lot in the two months since seeing grandpa.

We are heading to Christchurch next to tour the South Island of New Zealand.

Cheers, Richard


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb