Moorea


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Moorea
February 22nd 2012
Published: March 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Snorkeling Snorkeling Snorkeling

We went snorkeling with some black tip reef sharks that were attracted to the area by a guy who was feeding the sting rays.
So, basically, no one goes to Tahiti to go to Tahiti--they go to Tahiti in order to get to the other islands that are part of the Society Island chain.

Our first stop on our island chain tour was in Moorea, which is about 11 miles from Tahiti. We anchored the boat in Cook's Bay, and were able to have a few days off to explore the area. The easiest way to get around is by renting a scooter, and it only takes about an hour and a half to circle the entire island. The other easy way for us to get around was by tender, but was slightly more hazardous due to all of the shallow reefs surrounding the island.

A picture of the island should be in the dictionary next to the definition of 'sleepy island'. It is quite relaxed there, and pretty quiet, but not in a bad way at all. The scenery is gorgeous, as is the water, and it really is a place that you can envision as your stereotypical 'South Pacific' island, neither over nor under developed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Black TipsBlack Tips
Black Tips

There were at least ten of them hanging around, in sight.
Belvedere ViewpointBelvedere Viewpoint
Belvedere Viewpoint

Cook's Bay on the right, Opunohu Bay on the left, separated by Mt. Rotui.
Kiting MooreaKiting Moorea
Kiting Moorea

I was extremely jealous of the guys out kiting here. I wasn't expecting to come across this perfect lagoon with perfect winds.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb