Floating Away on a Giant Blow up Pineapple


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Moorea
June 13th 2023
Published: June 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We were all feeling like zombies when we arrived here yesterday so we sleep in ‘til about lunchtime. We think we remember through our zombiness walking a few hundred metres to the supermarket in the pitch blackness last night to stock up on some supplies for breakfast. If I’m remembering correctly it was a terrifying expedition that we were probably lucky to survive in our near comatose states - total darkness, no streetlights, no footpath and a heavily trafficked main road. And as if to prove how stupid we were being we then ventured out along the same road again to get pizza. And very nice pizza it was too. The young lady who served us apologised for the quality of her English, which made it about half a dozen times yesterday that this had happened. Why do people do this? We’re in France, well sort of, so it should be us who are apologising for our total lack of knowledge of French. I’m finding it a bit hard to imagine anyone back home apologising to a bunch of Chinese tourists for not being fluent in Mandarin.

We head in for a very pleasant dip in the shallows in front of our bungalow. There’s no shortage of floating things to carry us away, including a large blow up pineapple. Scott’s decided to opt for a canoe instead. It’s more than a bit breezy, and we strongly encourage him to paddle into the wind or he’s going to end up in Bora Bora. The mountains here certainly are spectacular - jungle clad lower slopes rising to near vertical rocky crags. They’re shrouded in dark clouds today which tends to make them look even more mysterious.

Scott’s keeping us entertained with random facts he’s getting off the Internet. I certainly hadn’t realised that in the battle scenes in movies the good guys usually enter from the left hand side of the screen…. I’m sure that little snippet will come in handy some day.

There’s a fancy overwater bungalow resort a kilometre or so away along the beach so we decide to take our lives into our hands yet again and head there along the dark main road for dinner. Issy and I thought we might have stayed here in 2014 but it’s not looking overly familiar. The local wildlife’s out in force around the dining tables. A dog’s threatening to chomp one set of diners’ legs off, and a cat’s hoeing into the establishment's supply of dinner rolls while no one’s watching. That aside, the food and ambience are excellent, and the dark walk home even feels quite relaxed after a few glasses of the local brew.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



16th June 2023
Moorea’s spectacular peaks

Spectacular!
Islands are a calm, peaceful and relaxing place. Looks like you are enjoying the sun and sand.
24th June 2023
Moorea’s spectacular peaks

Moorea
Wished we could have stayed longer.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb