Tuesday - A fishing trip Fijian style


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
September 16th 2008
Published: October 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Big wind and waves today. We spent most of the morning doing school work. Evy had a massage booked for the afternoon and the rest of us have signed up for an afternoon fishing trip. We discovered (a bit late) that there is an INTERNET computer but just as well as who wants to spend their time in Fiji on a computer.

The fishing trip was made up of 7 guests, the boat owner, his wife, and his 2 ½ year old son named Sam. The owners wife cut up octopus and bated the lines. There were no fishing poles but instead we had spools of line on what looked like clothesline wheels. The fishing gave us a chance to talk to some of the other guests. Lots of Aussies, Kiwis and a few Brits. They seemed to think that the idea of travelling for a year was a great education: Benjamin does not agree.

An Aussie caught the first fish: a bigger version of an orange coloured one that we have seen while snorkeling. After that the only person who caught any fish was our guide's wife. Their son Sam has a infectious and mischievous smile and quickly took to Benjamin as he held down his fishing line and then let go. Safety is obviously not too big a deal here as the boat had no life jackets not even for 2 ½ year old Sam.

We tried a few spots but the waves kept building making it difficult. We eventually landed near the village in huge waves. As it was not possible to get the boat all the way to shore, we had to jump wade/ swim the last bit. Benjamin's jump matched the arrival of a huge wave that took away his hat. We were all shaking with cold but it had been fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb