Sleepless sunrises


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
October 12th 2007
Published: October 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Beachcomber



Well I'm now several days into my travels around the Fiji Islands. We are now on Beachcomber Island and feeling somewhat seedy after talking the night away and slowly realising that the sun was rising, which meant that we could not miss out on seeing our first sunrise over sea. Thanks to some clouds over the main island that was a little bit spoilt but the overall feeling was still there.

Going back to the start of the journey, we spent our first weeks travel in the Gold Coast. The weather was beautiful though we did not actually end up in the ocean at any stage which was quite silly with how close we were to the sea. Everytime we had the opportunity to head down there it was blowing a gale and we decided that the hotel pool and spa was a better option. We ended up in the 4 big theme parks over there; Movie World, Wet and Wild, DreamWorld and White Water World. Lots of time spent waiting in lines which became a bit of a bore but ultimately the rides were worth it. The highlight of these park days was seeing the Bengal Tigers in Dreamworld. You really dont get a full appreciation for just how majestic these animals are until you see them up close and acting as they would in the wild. We caught up with Tali for a couple of days and during that time all of us boys took out some scooters for a bit of a burl. It was lots of fun even though we did follow Tali the wrong way down a one way street which saw us hitting the kerb to avoid being run over. Overall a good way to start the holiday and ease our way into the travelling mode.

Now we are in Fiji and it is a bit of a change from the luxury that we were in in GC. The weather is as you would expect, hot as buggery and humid. Most of the places we have stayed have been pretty basic and have been more just a place to sleep. We landed in Nadi and didn't last too long there. After taking a 30min stroll through the town we decided that we wanted to get out of there as soon as possible as there was nothing to do and everyone was quite persistant in wanting to sell us stuff, including all types of drugs. In a matter of 40mins we got all of our stuff sorted to head out to the islands for about 5 days. Starting off in mana we were in a very basic place that rarely had running water and a slight electrical problem. The first night we were introduced to Kava by our host, Saki in a traditional ceremony and sat around telling stories during bowls of the somewhat dirty tasting brew. The next day we walked the whole way round the island which was about a 4 hour journey. I learnt quite quickly that I have to remember to put sunscreen on the tops of my feet. The rest of the time was just spent sitting round relaxing on the beaches and enjoying the luke warm ocean water. Next stop was Beachcomber which we were only meant to spend a day at in meeting up with Rexy but we have found that we enjoy the place too much and will be extending our trip by another day here.

Hope this has given you an idea of where we are at at the moment and that it hasn't been too boring and long winded. Hopefully I'll start being able to do these a bit more regularly and they won't be as long.

Till next time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb