Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
February 16th 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Again, a little round up of our South Pacific leg - which really won't do it any justice.

We had been a little aprehensive about what to expect in Fiji due to the political situation, but after registering with the British Embassy as advised by the FCO we went for it anyway and weren't dissapointed.

We had the most amazing week in Fiji - and travelled from the town of Nadi out to the Mamanuca Islands and on into the isolated Yasawa Islands, in the more remote parts of the South Pacific.

We spent a couple of nights on Bounty Island - a 48 acre island of tropical palms and coral reefs about an hour away from Nadi. It took just 20 mins to walk all the way round the island!

We stayed in a little Bure - a hut on the beach basically, and had a small bar and canteen for comforts. Other than that there was nothing on the island!

Amusingly the island was the same one used for celebrity love island which you may have seen on TV back home. Parts of the set are still standing, and our pool was the one from the set - it was nicked by the owners of our bures and moved round the island!

We had a wander round the remains of the set and the camera corridors which was quite cool. The building that was for the couple of the day or whatever it was called still stands, albeit taps and fixtures and fittings have all been nicked!

We then moved on to the Yasawa's - taking a long 3 hour Catamaran ride up to the Naviti area. We spent a night on a very basic but good fun cruise boat - leaping in to the lagoon off the top of the boat, snorkelling, kayaking and relaxing on deserted tropical beaches.

This was the utter definition of the word paradise and solitude.

We saw a really rare striped sea snake, big 5 point blue starfish, baby Sharks, loads of reef fish and on our Catamaran's between the islands thousands of huge Man O War jellyfish.

We returned to Nadi on our last day, and had a quick look in the town. It was a bit of a shock after the pristine and deserted beaches of the smaller islands, but we did manage to find a Nando's! We couldn't quite believe it. Nadi looked very much like a remote town in India we envisaged.

We left Fiji on the night of the 16th, and had a disastrous flight up to Honolulu - diverting to Western Samoa to refuel our Air Balsa Wood aircraft or else we would have been shark food mid Pacific!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th February 2007

Yey! An Update!
If it wasn't for a recent e-mail from Clare i would have presumed you'd got lost in New Zealand! From the misery of my concrete jungle called work fiji looks fabulous! It's raining outside and very boring today! You do realise coming home will give you cabin fever and make you crazy!!!
20th February 2007

Ahoy
Alright guys - you both look fantastic! Dan what is going on with that barnet mate - in the last few pictures you look proper posh! Can you not get a native to tidy you up a bit? I hope you took full advantage of that Nandos, its the good stuff. Have you found my buried treasure? A doubloon apiece if you do!
20th February 2007

Lunch
The photos are wonderful, especially the one of you both at sunset, definately one for the family album. Thought the portions in the sushi bar looked a little on the large side!
23rd February 2007

food glorious food
Hey guys, only you could find a Nando's on a small island! And the bowl of fish looks delectable. On a final note, can I say that your tans look excellent. Will go very well with teal clare. xxx

Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb