From Raro to Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
January 28th 2007
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

When we arrived to our secluded island resort, I quickly determined that the Fijian-owned property would constitute the full extent of our explorations on the island unless we traveled elsewhere by boat. Unlike our previous travels, there was only one resort on Nagula Island, with no roads or organized civilization, which meant we would not be renting bicycles, mopeds, or a car to further explore our surroundings. I prayed that we would enjoy the company of the people visiting the resort as we would be at their mercy for all meals, happy hour and any island activities.

The employees were clearly not schooled at The Hospitality College in the Cook Islands. While friendly, they appeared to have a minimal understanding of the significance of service and hard work as they splashed each other with ocean water and chased one another around the resort.

When we opened the door to our room, I suddenly realized how spoiled I have been over the past few years. Our room was far from what any American would consider clean. For some reason, the Islanders think it’s a luxury to lay flowers on top of your bed. However, flowers attract ants and bed bugs are not quite my idea of luxury. To top that, bed linens and towels would be replaced only every three days.

I scanned the room for the air conditioner control panel to no avail, at which time Gene informed me, “There’s no air.” Great. The temperature was in the high 80s and we could expect to sweat our asses off 24/7 for the next four days. That is, unless we opted to take an ice cold shower in the spider sanctuary.

My favorite, the toilet, also covered with flowers and ants, separated from our single room by a curtain that barely covered my knees. The honeymoon was apparently over.


Advertisement



3rd February 2007

Duped.....Revisited.
Know how it feels. Remember when Mikkie and I went to Rome. I booked our accomodations also on line blindly. Inexpensive hotel meant that my booking Hotel Planet 29 in Rome was one step above a Youth Hostel. The only person that spoke English quit the day before we arrived. Anyone can have a nice web site.
5th February 2007

Bathroom Phobia
Wow. I hope that food agrees with you. Otherwise, you two are going to find yourselves engaged in a fight over who gets to squat in the spider sanctuary and who gets to risk getting stung in the ass by a wasp.
7th February 2007

Bathroom Phobia
Thank GOD, no fights over the toilet...not even a curtain separated the toilet from the spider sanctuary..I would have rather ran out into the wilderness..lol

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb