Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands » Nanuya Island
May 15th 2011
Published: May 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our adventure in New Zealand had come to an end and for me and Mark, the final part was about to begin. Only two months left to go (which is still a long time- about the same time we were in Asia for) However, before heading to the States, we had two weeks of relaxation in Fiji to attend to!

We arrived in Nadi and transferred to our hotel for the night before heading off to the islands the following morning. We were booked onto a package tour of 12 days which takes you to 6 islands and also takes care of all the transfers, meals and accommodation. We awoke in the morning to a nice cooked breakfast as part of our welcome package and unfortunately for me, another bout of bites from bed bugs (welcome indeed!)
When we transferred to the port, our brochure said the first island would a half an hour transfer. We couldn’t wait to hit the beach and get stuck into a new book. However, this would have to wait as the boats engine broke down meaning everyone had to disembark and wait for a few hours for another boat to come and pick us up (what is it with us and broken boats?!) Eventually though, we made it to our first stop, Bounty island and were welcomed by the staff with a song on the beach. Bounty Island is one of the smallest of the Yasawa island group (the group we would be travelling around) and its size means you are able to walk around it in less than 20 minutes. We both really liked this aspect because it really felt like you were on a deserted island. We also learned that Bounty island was the scene for, Celebrity love island’ when it was on television a few years ago. The beginning of our trip didn’t go exactly to plan as a huge storm was brewing during the day and as soon as we hit Bounty Island it decided to unleash itself on us! However, it blew itself out during the night and we awoke to a glorious sunny morning. We then spent the rest of our Bounty island trip sun bathing and enjoying some warmth on our skin after the chilliness of New Zealand winter.

After two days on Bounty Island, we transferred to our next resort, Wahei Leilei resort. This is one of the only resorts that is run by the villagers of the island. It was more basic but still just as beautiful. Whilst there, we were treated to a Fijian themed evening which involved watching a traditional Fijian dance and drinking something called Kava (which makes your tongue numb and tastes a little like muddy water) we also were given a traditional meal which involved eating with just your hands. It was delicious and just meant I savoured the flavour rather than shovelling it in! We learned whilst on the island that the local beach was used in the Tom Hanks film, ‘Castaway.’ Although the remainder of the film is set on another island, this was the beach he was washed up onto at the start of the film. The island also boasted a summit walk which we decided to take part in. Unfortunately, due to the rain, it was very muddy and slippery which made it too dangerous to walk right to the top and so we hiked as far as we could and enjoyed some great views on the way up.

The following morning, we awoke to find the heavens had opened again and we were in the middle of the heaviest rain we had ever seen! We thought we might be staying on the island for the day as it was so wet and windy. This was because in order to transfer onto the ‘Yasawa flyer’ (as the boats called) you first have to hop into a smaller boat and be taken over the flyer where you then climb up onto it whilst your bags are thrown up. We thought surely the weather was too dangerous to do this....how wrong we were! If they can get the boat to transfer, then by God, they will get it out there! So there we were, covered in all our layers to stay dry and spending the morning covering our bags in bin liners to dry and keep them dry!

This weather meant that unfortunately, our next stop, Korovou was a little disappointing due to the weather. What else can you do on an island in the rain? The staff really made up for it in the evenings and performed some great dances for everyone before having everyone get involved in some games. On the Sunday, we were invited to join the local villagers at church. It was a lovely experience to sit and observe locals who are so passionate about their faith. The Minister called out our different countries and we each stood and were applauded by the local people. During the final prayer, the Minister became quite emotional which was different to see and we were then given a hand shake from everyone and thanked for coming along.
After church, it was then time to move on and again, we boarded the flyer to the next resort, Nabua lodge. During the crossing, it was very shaky and although we were trying to play cards with another couple we had met, I and Laura had to go outside and sit quietly! We did hear some stories about people being sick everywhere but I have learnt from Asia to keep a little plastic bag with me!

Nabua lodge was another basic accommodation but very beautiful. The only problem with it was the mosquito capital of Fiji and we were finding ourselves covered in a lot of bites during our two days there! On our second day there, a group of us decided to take a taxi boat to the next island along called, Blue Lagoon and is famed for not only it’s snorkelling but also being the scene of a Brooke Sheilds movie (Blue Lagoon I think it’s called-would make sense!) It was a beautiful paradise which a white sandy beach stretched out before us and crystal clear waters. I donned my snorkelling mask and got swimming around the reefs. The current was a little strong but I did manage to see some colour fish having a swim around. We all felt we should have stayed for the day but alas, we had to board back to our resort. All was not lost though as on the beach of our resort was a little traveller’s tea shop searching a fresh cuppa and a big piece of cake – the end to a perfect afternoon!

The following morning, we transferred to our next resort, Manta Ray where we would stay for only one night. It was one of the nicer one’s we had visited so we were disappointed to be leaving it so quickly. Manta Ray resort is famous for exactly that....Manta Rays. Each time they find the Manta Rays have visited, they ring a bell and everyone will pile out with their snorkels to find them. This wasn’t to be for us though as it’s not quite the right season yet. However, the resort itself was wonderful with a great Al-a-carte menu and Fijian entertainment (we are experts at the Bula dance now!)

Our final resort was upon us, Beachcomber Island which has a reputation as being the party island of the Yasawa group. We were not quite sure to expect? Perhaps something like Ibiza or Magalluf? We were surprised to find that of all the islands, this was one of the best run resorts we had visited and although it is a party island, it isn’t what you would first think. If you want some quiet then you can get it and if you want to party, you can do that to. We spent the first night having a few drinks, then a few more and then a few more and before I knew it, I was waking up with a monster hangover and didn’t leave the room all day! However, once my head had cleared, I managed to actually see the Island and it was very pretty. It was the same as Bounty and was very small (even smaller than Bounty) but had so much on offer, we could have easily stayed longer. However, the tour was coming to an end and we had America on the horizon.

We arrived back on the main land having made some great friends in Fiji and enjoyed some much needed sunshine. We are feeling ready and rearing to go with America now!
We are not quite sure when we will be able to publish another blog for America and so our next entry may not be for a while. As soon as we can let you all know how we are getting on, we will!
Bring it on America!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb