Fiji time!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nananu I Ra
February 27th 2007
Published: February 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Verity the swinger!Verity the swinger!Verity the swinger!

on the Coral Coast beach
Bula!

After taking off from Rarotonga just passed midnight, crossing the date line and losing a whole day of our lives! we arrived at our hotel in Nadi, Fiji in the middle of the night and instantly regretted the choce of a $3 cheaper dorm with fan and not air conditioning as both bottom bunks were taken and the fan on the wall was pointed downwards therefore useless to us! The next day, after a rather sweaty night we chilled out at our hostel while the heavens opened and it rained all day!

Day two and we headed south to the Coral Coast and our accomodation there "The Beachouse". To our amazement this was actually the set of "Celebrity Love Island" yes that's right, the crappy TV show was actually filmed at a backpacker resort, albeit a very nice one, but not a swanky hotel and it is actually on the main island of Fiji not a private island which both celebrities and viewers are led to believe!! We Spent three nights at the Beachouse which, despite the rain, was very nice. The hostel had a really cool vibe about it with the sounds of Bob Marley on the stereo and people sitting around making jewellery from coconuts and lying in hammocks! Incidentally thanks to V we both have very nice new necklaces! But one of the best things about this hostel was that everyday at 16:00 we were served tea and Scones!

After our stay on the Coral Coast we headed back to the hostel in Nadi for one night. While there we headed into the centre of Nadi to buy some groceries which was an interesting experience as Nadi isn't really a very nice place!

The next day, armed with enough food and drink for the next 4 days we set off on our mammoth journey to the Island Nananu-i-ra. It took a minibus, a bus, a taxi and finally a boat to get there but after 5 hours (not the 2 and a half we were told by the tour desk) we finally arrived. Nananu-i-ra is a small island off the north coast of Viti Levu (fiji's main island) which was recommened to us by Gillian, a work colleague of Verity's dad's. It is a very remote island that only has electricity until 22:30 at night but is beautiful and very peaceful. Our four days on the island were spent relaxing by the beach and snorkelling off of the Jetty which has a fish sanctuary at the end of it as it is surrounded by lots of colourful fish. Our evenings were spent playing cards and scrabble and chilling out by lamp light.

After a sad goodbye to the island we shared a taxi back to Nadi with a Danish couple we met (much easier than all the public transport hassle) and spent our last night in fiji in Nadi, well half a night as we had to be at the airport at 5am!

Now we've just arrived in Auckland, New Zealand with five weeks of exploring ahead. We'll try and put up a blog at least once a week, internet access permitting, to keep you all up to date with our fun and frolics!!

Bye for now

G&V xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Celebrity Love IslandCelebrity Love Island
Celebrity Love Island

Commonly known as the beach house
On the beachOn the beach
On the beach

at Nananu-i-ra


2nd March 2007

Fiji
Dear Gary and Vez, cant help seeing that you have both lost lots of weight, or is it the photos ? Try to contact us on your Dads birthday which is a Monday so perhaps on the Sunday would be best. Phone on your mobile cause I shall be paying anyway. Or if you would like ring us on your birthday. We almost had snow this week, weather is a bit out of order at the moment, youre in the best place.

Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb