Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
March 10th 2019
Published: March 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Off to Fiji the magical islands where the sun shines and everyone is happy.

We arrived early evening and were picked up by our Airbnb host in Nadi before we headed out to see some local dancing - unfortunately it absolutely poured down as we drove across and as it was outside it was called off.

No matter our host Evelyn took us to the marina where we listened to a local band playing soft rock and ate dinner at TGI’s - not quite what we were expecting but it did the job for the evening.

Next morning the sun was shining and off we went by ferry to Yasawa islands and Naqalia lodge.

After dropping us at the ferry Evelyn confirmed that it wouldn’t rain on the islands! The ferry crossing was fine and after 2 hours we were transferred with a another passenger - Klara from the Czech Republic (lives in Australia) to a small boat for a choppy 10 minute trip to the island where we were welcomed by musicians and singers and then by the family that run the lodge - lovely start.

That afternoon ( after the rain had come and gone ) Sue went out snorkelling with Klara - great they got on so well the guy taking them out thought Klara was our daughter!

While they were out in the water I joined the ‘family’ and watched the HSBC rugby Sevens. Indeed I managed it three days in a row even watching England beat Fiji for 5th place on the Sunday- Good job I was leaving that day!

The island itself was a reasonable size but the accessible part from where we were was pretty small. Having said that on the first night we were taken on a sunset hike over the hills, into the island and through tall grasses to a hilltop to wait for the sun to go down. As we slipped and slid up and down narrow paths where you couldn’t see your feet or more that a foot in front of you for much of the way we were starting to wonder whether this was a good idea - particularly as we were going to come down in the dark!

An hour later & dripping wet from the heat the view from the top was definitely worth it even though the trek back was interesting - I managed to slip more than a few times and landed on my backside too. But we all made it albeit 45 minutes later than expected.

On the Sunday there were no events unless we wanted to go to church, or we could take the kayaks out. So Sue & Klara took the kayaks around the bay & spent the day on the beach or in a hammock ( or in my case getting a game or 12 of Sevens on the tv)

After dinner that evening the family group sang a song of farewell to newcomers and a song of goodbye to us. A nice gesture.

To top the night off we were invited to sit round and drink kava with a couple of the guys and other tourists. An interesting drink made from the root, turned into powder and mixed with water. After a few of these your mouth goes numb as if it has some anaesthetic properties. Clearly a regular ritual with the locals.

On the final day Sue & Klara managed to get out and swim with reef sharks over the coral. The rain fell very heavily a few times while we were there and Sue got caught in it as she came back in the small boat and had to jump into the sea near the beach to warm up.

After lunch & a lie in a hammock we were on our way back to the larger ferry and the main island.

A very relaxing few days before the hustle and bustle of Tokyo and one we will always have a memory of how the family made us welcome and for a few days we were part of it.

Goodbye Fiji



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Hammock timeHammock time
Hammock time

Klara, me and Sue


10th March 2019
snorkelling group

Joys of Fiji
Looks like you are having great fun.

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 18; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb