Cook Islands - Rarotonga


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
April 27th 2007
Published: April 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Muri LagoonMuri LagoonMuri Lagoon

The view from the sundeck at Vara's. Pretty spectacular.
Kia Orana!

We left Fiji on Saturday morning and arrived in Rarotonga on Friday night. Rarotonga is a volcanic island and is the largest of the group of 15 islands that make up the Cooks. We spent a week in Raro, staying at Vara's Backpackers on Muri beach lagoon, in a double room instead of a dorm! Luxury! The beach is the nicest on the island and the lagoon is really blue and overlooks two other tiny islands.

Our first day was overcast but for the rest of the week we had lovely weather so we spent a quite a bit of time on the beach. We also went into the capital, Avarua several times looking round the Saturday market and checking out the shops. Things are pretty expensive here (including food) because most things have to be imported from NZ. The people here are speak Cook Island's Maori and English with a Kiwi accent!

One day we decided to hire push bikes and bike round the island (32km) because it didn't seem to be such a hot day...by 11am it was boiling! Luckily it was a flat road! There's not much to see really, just lots
Shopper chopper!Shopper chopper!Shopper chopper!

We got a couple of kwality shopper mountain bikes to cicumnavigate Raro. Probably chose the wrong day though - t'was a scorcher.
of gorgeous beaches. It's a brilliant place for chilling out though.

We ate out a couple of times, once we had an Indian all you can eat buffet! We ate enough food to keep us going for a week! We also found a brilliant fish and chip shop. The fish here is so good. We've lost a bit of the pork we put on in Oz and NZ now because the food's expensive and we've mostly been living off noodles and veg!

A week later we were back at Rarotonga airport to fly off to Aitutaki, a smaller island in the Cooks...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Never get tired of thisNever get tired of this
Never get tired of this

We've got a few pics on here of a tropical beach, but we are really making the most of them as it will all be over so soon :-(


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 16; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb