Lacapede Islands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 3rd 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Birds of Lacapede IslandBirds of Lacapede IslandBirds of Lacapede Island

Frigate birds (that sleep on the wing, and cannot take off from water), various Terns, Boobys, Egrets, Ruddy Turnstones, Oyster Pickers, etc.
Geo: -16.73, 122.316

This was the bird watchers' paradise, with an abundance of birds of many species in the rookery. The islands had been used for guano collection and pearling, and years ago introduced rats laid waste the nests. Many bird species stopped visiting the islands but the WA Govt succeeded in eliminating the rats in the 1980s and the birds are now back. The problem is now Silver Gulls, who also raid the nests of eggs and baby birds. Seagulls don't normally venture this far offshore but they followed the boats out and are now nesting on the islands. There has been one seagull cull (by poisoning) and it seems another will be needed soon. Seagulls are scavengers but the other birds don't eat the baits.

We motor down to Broome's Cable Beach this evening, and disembark at 8am (WA time) tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Shore LineShore Line
Shore Line

The islands are a Reserve and tourists are only allowed six at a time ashore, and only below the high water mark. The Brown Boobys nest on the ground, in and among the tussocks. If you disturb them off their nest the gulls quickly dart in and take the eggs or young.
TurtleTurtle
Turtle

We saw many turtles in the shallows, and two massive loggerhead (?) turtles higher up in the low dunes. They seemed unmoving but we were unable to investigate their condition.
RayRay
Ray

Also many Shovel Nose Rays in the shallows, hiding from predators (mainly sharks) in the deeper waters.


9th May 2015

I have enjoyed your blog immensely. Next will be the S American trip.
9th May 2015

Thanks Kerrie. Your feedback is appreciated.

Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb