Cape Leveque


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
August 5th 2006
Published: October 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The final three days of our North Western AUS trip. A safari tent awaited us at the far tip of Cape Leveque - 4 hours drive up a dirt track from Broome. A track which car hire companies will not permit you to drive up. The solution was a lift on the mail run! Twice a week Cora, the outback postlady, and her dog George, leave Broome at 0400 and make the trip to the Cape, via deliveries in the Aboriginal communities of Beagle Bay and One Arm Point. 0400 is a bit of an early start, and Cora is something of 'a character', but it was worth it! Cape Leveque was spectacular. Our tent (more of a palace, really) was on a hillside and we watched the sun rise over the sea on one side of the peninsula each morning and then set into the sea on the other side in the evening. The beaches were almost deserted; the weather was perfect; the snorkelling great. This is definitely a contender for my favourite place ever and I had to be dragged back into the post car kicking and screaming when it was time to leave...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb