Pinnacles Desert


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 13th 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Pinnacles Desert is right in the heart of Nambung National Park - thousands of huge limestone pillars rise out of yellow sand. Some of them are up to three and half metres tall. They are all different shapes - some jagged and reaching for the sky, others more like tombstones.
Although the formation of the Pinnacles would have taken many thousands of years, they were probably only exposed in quite recent times. Aboriginal artefacts at least 6,000 years old have been found in the Pinnacles Desert despite no recent evidence of Aboriginal occupation. This tends to suggest that the Pinnacles were exposed about 6,000 years ago and then covered up by shifting sands, before being exposed again in the last few hundred years.
We trekked around after Mike for a while....we did consider having a game of hide and seek - can you imagine, it would just be the perfect place. But apparently hide and seek and standing on the stones is actually banned...spoilsports. So we contented ourselves with just wandering around and taking it all in.

We then went to Hangover Bay afterwards, where a swim in the freezing cold ocean did actually help the head!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

As everyone was sleeping on the bus, I saw this most amazing sunset...then Mike realising that Luca and I were hanging out the windows trying to take photos stopped for us!


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb