Gwalia Historic Town-Leonora


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 8th 2009
Published: May 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Gwalia is a ghost town; a community that has the deepest love and respect for their heritage has preserved it. The Sons of Gwalia mine was a major part of the lives of the people of Leonora Gwalia, supporting a population of around 3000 in 1911.Many resident were migrants form Italy and Yugoslavia living in simple cottages made from bush timber, corrugated iron and Hessian. In December 1963 The Sons of Gwalia mine closed for good and the towns folks virtually walked away taking with them only what they could carry. In a period of 3 weeks the population went from 3000 to a mere 40.
Today, Gwalia host a museum, with many interesting artifacts, a library and hundreds of old photos.
Hoover House is now a bed and breakfast residence and has been fully restored, it was he house of the site manager- Herbert Hoover- who later on was to become the United State 31st President.

A random collection of photos was taken for the readers, but we could have taken hundreds of them.
A visit to Gwalia is not to be missed.

Leonora itself is bigger then we anticipated and not all that interesting.
The caravan park is adequate and is $25.00 per night.





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Gwalia Mine Historic SiteGwalia Mine Historic Site
Gwalia Mine Historic Site

Hoover House - Hoover was to become US 31st President


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb