31st March 2024 Day 12


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
March 31st 2024
Published: March 31st 2024
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 31
st
, CarnarvaonBig4 Plantation Caravan ParkCost $46.75 per night with membershipRated by us 8/10Mileage 15865 travelled 0Enjoying our slow starts to the day, with lots of shade on our site under some amazing ghost gums, we awake listening to the most beautiful birdsong.My friend Pat had asked me to take some photos of a couple of historical things to do with her family history so we set off to find them.First stop was Granny Glasgow's building, this lady was a midwife in the area in the 1800‘s and was very well known amongst the communities up here, they subsequently built and named a building after her. The building is now an early learning child care centre. It looks as if the original building has been added to but the skeleton of the old remains underneath things.Second stop was the Pioneer Cemetery to photograph the grave of Edward George Walker Pat’s Great Grandfather who died in 1894. It was really sad to see the state of dis repair that the cemetery is in, many of the headstones have been pushed over and broken and litter and weeds are everywhere. Fortunately the headstone of Pat’s relative is still intact for the moment. The board at the gate is very informative and a list on bronze of all the people in the cemetery is under a small portico, so someone at some point has cared but I guess no funds are around and or any interest in preserving these things anymore so sad.We drove out to look at Pelican Point the swimming beach is still spectacular but we only stopped briefly to get some photos.Back on into town and a quick stop at the banana processing plant to see the Big Banana, it is pretty big close up couldn’t resist a photo.Quiet afternoon at camp, looking at maps and planning, booked into Onslow for three night stay, never been before and it is on the coast so should be cool and fly free.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



1st April 2024

I'm glad that the news reports of the violence are not eventuating for you two

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb