Climb for Showers


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Stirling Range
January 1st 2011
Published: January 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

It's a little bit of a nervous and early start on this day, for it was our intention to climb Bluff Knoll, WA's second highest mountain. We're up at 5.30, a quick breakfast and pack up camp to be on the road by 6.30am. It was less than a week ago that a 79yr old man went missing on this very mountain with the search parties still looking for him it's fresh in our minds and I'm wondering about the wiseness of our decision to take two kids up.

As we turn off the main road and aim the car at Bluff Knoll it starts to loom up in front of us, a very high, craggy and brooding looking mountain. Once we pull up in the car park and disembark a freezing wind whips across us, the clouds are close and we have some serious second thoughts. I give the kids a bit of a caution talk about the dangers and how it doesn't matter if we don't make the top, the important thing is we all make it back to the car. This little chat makes Lachlan a bit nervous and he has to take a couple of trips to the toilets (not flushing but pretty good all the same) before we load up with our water/food and cameras and set out. We've made a very firm decision to turn back if it get's wet or the kids get too tired and to be happy whatever we achieve. Two hours later, after some solid uphill climbing and only one genuinely dangerous section of cliff top track we are standing 1097m above sea level at the top of Bluff Knoll.

Short Post too.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb