Shark Bay and surrounds


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Shark Bay
April 25th 2012
Saved: September 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday the 25 of April - in the morning we packed up yet again and hit the road: destination: Shark Bay.

Our accomodation was in the town of Denham. twas here that I first saw the road sign warning to be careful of the bilby (plural: bilbies?) Then I saw a video of releasing bilbies into the wild, so I knew it wasn't a hoax. In fact, the whole peninsula is under a program to get rid of some of the introduced species, and promote the native species.

We saw a beautiful bay called Shell beach, where you are walking on hard, compressed, unyielding shells...not sand. There is a quarry, and in Denham we ate in a restaurant built of blocks of shells....The quarry is nowonly used to cut blocks to maintain historical buildings...you can't just go and cut blocks yourself.

We stopped at a boardwalk and lookout called Eagle Bluff. We didn't see any eagles, but the water is so clear that from this vantage point you could see meadows of sea grass in the water, and you can see the creatures swimming. We watched 3 sharks for quite a while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

30th April 2012
UploadedFile2

Wow!
Hi Carole, Wow, those shell blocks and beach are amazing! I looked up the bilby online and turns out they're now using the bilby as a replacement for the Easter bunny in Australia, who knew, ha! Thanks again for the fabulous images - you look wonderful! K:) xo
30th April 2012

I had to look up what a Bilby is but they are SO CUTE!!! Why do you have to be careful of them? Do they bite?

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb