Restup on Rottnest


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Rottnest Island
December 6th 2010
Published: December 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

A nice Jetstar flight back from Melbourne to Perth, well actually quite a bumpy ride as we came back in but it was good fun playing cards up the back of the plane with fellow passengers, don't get enough of that sort of thing at home. Well it would never happen on the tube.

Only a few days left around Perth but I did not want to waste it especially as the weather was tops so decided to spend a night over on Rottnest Island, just about 10km over the Indian Ocean. Rather than get down to Fremantle again I went from Hilarys Harbour up north of Scarborough and here is a tip, you can hire a bike from your Ferry company and easily get it put on the ferry, this saves fuss and I expect the expense of doing so on the Island.

I took a night's accomodation at the Kingston Barracks, about 3KM on from the main town/port it's a former army barracks as the name suggests but in a great seculded spot. It's a big sprawl of a place but a superb base. If you do stay there be sure to go out after dark to the main green that is floodlit, I swear there were at least 50 Quakkas out on the green so for your ultimate fix of Rottnest's most favourite resident, check this spot out!

Spent most of my time riding round, made it to the far western point of the Island and pure lapped up the hot sun, blue skies, and strong winds. Actually the winds make cycling quite a workout so beware. Another tip for Rottnest is if you're a budget traveller prob worth taking some supplies with you, it's a bit pricey, but if you're not so bothered then it has a decently equiped little supermarket, a Subway, Red Rooster Chicken and a few bars etc. There is one ATM on the island in the main village commercial square, but don't rely on one ATM if you can avoid it.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb